Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Anyone know if this is a IE spell check?  (Read 4133 times)

reout

Anyone know if this is a IE spell check?
« on: July 04, 2006, 09:19:16 AM »
When I put the cursor over any word in IE, there is what looks like a spell check of that word in English, Spanish and other language. There is a little magnifying glass (with a red "A" in it) just before  the proper spelling of the word.  Can anyone identify this app and tell me how to disable of it? This seems to only shows up in IE. Don't see it when reading my email in Outlook Express.  
Thanks

Windows XP home
IE 6.0
Emachines T2240, 2.2 GHz Intel Celeron, 640 MB RAM

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Anyone know if this is a IE spell check?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 03:02:34 PM »
Hmmm, do you have ieSpell installed?  Seems you must have it or a similar add-on program installed.  

Edit: Do you have an extra button on your IE toolbar for spell check?  If you open Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, do you see ieSpell or some such program?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 03:10:45 PM by soybean »

reout

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
I checked the control panel Add or Remove Programs, and did not see ieSpell or any such program.
Also looked for an extra button on the IE toolbar for spell check.
I will try to attach a screen shot, so you can see my IE toolbar and what this spell icon looks like. Maybe you or someone else will recognize this app and can tell me how to get rid of it.
Thanks again.
Mike

soybean

Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
Well, I see you have the Google toolbar installed and it has a spell check button, the one with the small letters, ABC beside a check mark.  I haven't used the Google toolbar and can't say for sure that it's the source of the behavior you dislike.  I found the Google toolbar download page, which lists the features of the toolbar but I see no info indicating whether the spell check feature can be disabled.  

If you think the behavior you described is caused by some other program, you could, and may need to, uninstall the Google toolbar to test this theory.  

You might try this.  Go to Tools, Manage Add-ins, and see whether you can see a separate entry there for spell check, whether from the Google toolbar or otherwise.  If so, disable it and see whehter the behavior stops.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 04:25:37 PM by soybean »

reout

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 01:42:13 PM »
Thank you very much for the info about Manage Add-Ons. I
was not aware of this and am learning more every day. There are only 9 things listed in there and none have anything to do with spelling.
About the ABC icon on the Google tool bar. It looks like something for checking my spelling when WRITING an email, not READING one. I have not ever used that feature, so I don't think that is my problem.
If this is any clue, I found pressing the the F10 key disables this spelling thing, but when I open the next email to read it, it comes back again.
I will delete the Google tool bar, if that is what it takes to get rid of this, but with a dial up ISP, it will take a long time to download it again.
Can you suggest anything else?  Thanks
Mike

soybean

Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
What are you calling a "long time"?  That file is only 568 KB.  Shouldn't take more than 10 - 15 minutes, depending on your connection speed.  Be sure to Save, not Run, when you download it.  Then, you can reinstall it anytime without having to download it again.  I still think you should uninstall it to verify it's the source of the behavior you find objectionable.

reout

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 09:04:46 PM »
I deleted the Google Toolbar and my problem went away.
You are the man.
Thank you very much for the help.

soybean

Genius
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Glad to hear the problem is solved.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 03:56:16 AM »
I deleted the Google Toolbar and my problem went away.

Another testimonial to those add on toolbars.  ;)