Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony Vaio problem  (Read 3224 times)

Maza

Sony Vaio problem
« on: July 06, 2006, 04:00:59 AM »
Have recently purchased a second hand Sony Vaio notebook BX196sp, and am now having trouble with starting it up. It does turn on displaying the initial Vaio logo and sound, then a white text line at the top left corner as if it is going to do something, then nothing the screen just goes blank. The fan comes on immediately after and the green power light remains on. I am guessing that the last time i used it may have caused the problem as it was on for several hours, but still the laptop is only 3 months old from new?? Arrrggghhhh help! >:(
Thanks

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: Sony Vaio problem
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 04:19:39 AM »
    Ok well , you say its second hand but only 3 months old? do you know why some one sold such a new laptop?

If your could post the Model Number of the Laptop , and its spec's , the more information we have the easier it will be to fix.

And what were you doing the last time it worked. it shouldn't Crap out just by running for a few hours.
    Did you install any New Programs?
    Do you have an Anti Virus? or Anti Spy/Mal/Adware Program?

And Also What dose it say on the Screen it Stops on, is it the windows logo? or a Gray Bar along the Bottom, or neither?

And you Bought a Sony Vaio waht did you expect to happen  ::)
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Maza

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 05:37:43 AM »
    Thanks for your reply

Purchased from a good friend, who has upgraded his laptop for his company, may be slightly older than 3 months, but is less than 6 months old.

VGN BX196SP
    Model PCG-9W2M
    100GB, 512MB

Last time used was to play a game.

Stops after the initial Vaio screen appears, doesnt go into Windows and no grey line, just a blank black screen, having to shutdown using on/off button, have tried this several times without any luck, am wondering if it has overheated as the fan comes on more or less straight away.

Cheers for your help

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:41:04 AM »
      I am hoping for your sake that its just your bootloader gone bad,

I would try an XP repair , by booting off the XP disk, and choosing to repair the system.

you could also try using the XP recovery console , and run fixboot and fixmbr

GX1_man Likes to Recommend Linux Live Disks, like Slax i think

He might post and give you some other recommendations on fixing Boot Problems

Maza

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »
      Thanks for your advice, i have resorted to contacting Sony on their premium rate number, they think it may be the graphics card? and arranged to collect it next week as it is still under warranty.
      Guess i shouldnt have bought Sony, it is only a couple of months old and hardly used, poor quality, and am also guessing that all my data and downloads will also be deleted once i get it back, not a happy bunny.
      Anyway thanks Panboy, much appreciated
       :)

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 07:32:10 AM »
        NO's!! Sony is the Evil it will Come back with More Evil than Ever Before!!

How many Company's Re-brand Stuff Put it in Flimsy Shiny Boxes and Then Smear them with Evil Sauce, and then when it Breaks you have to Ring a Premium Rate Service(Thats Evil) so you can have them Fix there Over Priced box of Evil. and it will come back with Fresh Evil Sauce.

Did i mention Sony are Evil

Most of the Time the First thing they do is Reformat the whole thing But
        If there Nice they might not Delete your Data, Was Any on it important? (Their Evil BTW)

Maza

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 08:19:02 AM »
        Just spent ages replying to this for it to tell me i need to log in and wiped off my message arrrggghhh start again-

Anyway you have made me giggle in my time of frustration and anger, Sony grrrr!
        Guess your not impressed by them, they have yet to prove themselves to me!

I copy most important data to usb storage, your probably right they will more than likely reformat the whole thing, losing everything, just hope they will reinstall Nero and other programs that had been installed prior to it conking out on me.

Its slightly disheartening that some over worked technician will have access to my personal files, (photos,videos etc), thats ofcourse if they can actually get the *censored* thing to start without having to re format it?

Lessons Learnt:
        1. Make sure i always delete all files prior to shutting down laptop on each session, just on the off chance i may not be able to start the *censored* thing again
        2. Never buy Sony again cos apparantly they are 'Evil'
        3. Check my phone bill!!

Anyway i was being slightly greedy as i already have a Toshiba laptop, although wasnt highly impressed with it, i must say it never let me down as with the Sony, even if it is a much slower machine. I guess the finger tip recognition and the in built webcam did it for me, women eah? Not looking at the quality etc, just purchased because of the added extras (the fingertip security did it for me hmmm), now if it had had a pink casing maybe i would disagree with your Evil comment.

Ah well, lets just see hopefully it isnt anything too destructive, cheers

panboy

Adviser

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 06:03:44 AM »
          Glad i could make you laugh :)

Toshiba Make Pretty good stable laptops , my parents both have Satellite Pros and Ive never had a problem on them wile i have been removing all the spy ware they let get on them .

Al tho in general i hate Laptops , why pay 2k for a top end laptop when you can speed the same on a massive Desk top and it will be some much better!

and don't you talk to me about mobility my desktops plenty mobile, when i put it in the car i can hook it up to the Battery and use it any ware i wont , and i can still be indoors!!

Sony arent all bad , they made good stuff in the 80's, i still have a TV from then