Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: re partitioning a hard drive.  (Read 1857 times)

walter

re partitioning a hard drive.
« on: July 08, 2006, 07:52:31 AM »
i have just built a new computer and installed a new hard drive partitioned into two, c: containing the operating system and d: for general short term storage. i have also installed an old hard drive which is partitioned into three and formatted clean and into ntfs. I would like to change this drive into one partition for any long term storage. using partition magic should i delete two of the empty partitions and then resize the remaing one to take up the whole drive. is this the right course of action please. thx in anticipation. walter.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: re partitioning a hard drive.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
You have little or no files on that second hard drive, right?  If you have a few files on it, copy them over to the primary drive.  Then, just use Windows admin tools to get that second drive back to one partition.  Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and then click on Disk Management.  You'll see the existing partitions there, and can perform drive maintenance functions from that screen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:54:46 AM by soybean »

GX1_Man

Re: re partitioning a hard drive.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 11:31:10 AM »
Yes, you do NOT need Partition Magic or some third party software for simple tasks like this.