Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Protect Yourself When Windows Goes Down!  (Read 2981 times)

GX1_Man

Protect Yourself When Windows Goes Down!
« on: July 08, 2006, 03:15:50 PM »
I frequently recommend a Linux Live CD for WIndows system problems. If you do not have one, you would be well served to download one and burn for when the day arrives for you that you have a FURAR'ed Windows problem and you need to save your data before a reformat, or try to regaincontrol of your system.

I recommend SLAX, but there are other great ones too. They are all FREE and just may save your *censored*. Google for the ones you want, then burn the file as an ISO with Nero or some other burning priogram and store it away, after you play with it for a little bit.

A Linux LiveCD will write no files to your hard drive, so there is no danger. Itruns slower than Windows, because it runs totally from the CDROM and some (like Knoppix) have a LOT of compressed files that have to be decompressed "on the fly". This is an option that will not happen with Windows, by the way. Each contains basic software - wordprocessor, CD burning software, etc. and some, like Knoppix contain everything but the kitchen sink.

These will run on computers that do not even have a hard drive installed. More RAM is a little quicker, but 256 is comfortable on SLAX. Linspire is the most WIndows like experience for a total newbie, but they are all pretty self explanatory. You will be able to reat and write FAT32, and read NTFS file systems.

If you like Linux and want to try, most are quite happy with conventional hardware but don't think it is Windows. It's not and there will be some learning curve. You had one with Windows, but don't remember it usually. Don't expect to run Windows games on it. Although there are some enulators and some games do run, I find it better to recommend keeping a Windows partition for gaming, and Linux for everything else.

If you have a spare hard drive, or want to creat room on your existing one,Linux is a great alternative to Windows. You do not need a ton of antivirus, spyware prevention, etc. programs. There is no Windows Genuine anything snafus, it's FREE, and comes with all applications a normal human would need on the installation CD(s) including a Microsoft compatible office suite, graphics programs for Photoshop like manipulation, etc. You can also download thousands of other applications, usually free also. There are hundreds of flavors, so one will be more appealing to your brain than others, so give several a try. Modems are sometimes difficult due to the prevalence of so many cheap WinMoems in computers. If you have a REAL hardware modem or a serial modem there is no problem if your ISP can support it. Cable and DSL is a piece of cake.

LINKS:

SLAX

http://www.slax.org/

KNOPPIX

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/distro.php?distro=5

LINSPIRE

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=146

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Protect Yourself When Windows Goes Down!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 08:56:24 PM »
I would totally agree.  Linux Live CDs saved my *censored* a couple of times.  Good post.
Back In The Game

homer

Expert
    « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »
    i would really like to know what it does actually.  :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 10:54:49 PM »
    It is an instant operating system that runs from a CD. Didn't I say that?  :-?

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »
      u might  have, i guess i skipped over that part....

XtaszY

Beginner

• WEB Guard
        « Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 11:42:01 AM »
        I herd that exists such a CD with WinXP but I have never seen it.
         Is true??
        « Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 11:42:24 AM by XtaszY »

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
        Is not true. Microsoft does not sell such a product.

XtaszY

Beginner

• WEB Guard
          « Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 12:41:59 PM »
          I dont't say that is a microsoft product. As I herd is a kind of pre-installed-winXP image.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 12:47:01 PM »
          There are rumors of hacked versions that do this, but I have never seen one and since we don't help with warez of any kind on this board we couldn't help with it. It is not a Microsoft product, so it is not legal.

XtaszY

Beginner

• WEB Guard
            « Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »
            Yes you are right

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 03:59:34 PM »
              I've been trying out PCLinuxOS.  Here is the link below:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

I want to get out of Windows (for my home systems) as I'm still stuck with fixing other folks' M$ products for a living.

I've found this distro to be pretty user friendly, not like some of the others, Suse in particular.  

Check it out  :o

Alan <><
              I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 04:11:46 PM »
              There are so many distros that everyone can have a favorite. SuSE has a lot of followers as well.  ;)