Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows boot-up freezing, still boots up... HELP  (Read 2505 times)

Always

Windows boot-up freezing, still boots up... HELP
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:07:02 PM »
I recently Installed a new motherboard (Abit KN8), processor (amd 64 3700+), and a vid card (nvida 7600 GT). I went thew the motions of installing all the hardware and then reinstalling windows XP, however thats when i noticed that the windows loading screen (with the logo and load bar) would go for about 5 seconds, then the bar would freeze were it was (not always the same position) and stay frozen for about 25-30 seconds and then suddenly unfreeze and continue for another 5 seconds as normal. I then installed all updated bios and drivers for all, but the problem remained. Althought Ive started my pc several times and its always loaded up in the end I find this 30+ second start up time annoying and possibly problematic. I dont know if windows just needs to be installed again (like the first time it messed up or soemthing?) or if its a motherboard or vid card issue...But before go threw the trouble of reinstalling windows I thought I would see If anybody knew anything about this. Appreciate anybodys help, thanks in advance.

homer

Expert
    Re: Windows boot-up freezing, still boots up... HE
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:08:57 PM »
    in order to eliminate the possibility of it being a hardware issue, does your comp freeze/lag while doing anything else? can it run games well? (i see you have a nvidea 7600, you probably do gaming correct?)
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:09:12 PM by homer »

Always

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:17:56 AM »
    Yea my computer functions fine other then that, I'm currently playing Oblivion and was a little dissapointed that it set my settings to medium due to it didnt recognize my vid card and when i raised them slightly from that on my own the game dosnt look as clean as i would of hoped, but I am also running on only 512mb ram. Other games like Counter-Strike run smooth. At one other time I experienced a start up where the windows logo stayed opaque and faint for a while then it comes into full color and then loads except when it loads for some reason it didnt recognize my only cd drive and it would not respond...that seemed wierd but upon restart i got the whats become normal for me...freezing unfreezing 30sec windows boot. Stuff like that makes me just want to RMA my motherboard with newegg but I thought I would find out if it was purely OS related first. Thanks again for the help.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 01:07:41 PM »
    ... I dont know if windows just needs to be installed again (like the first time it messed up or soemthing?) or if its a motherboard or vid card issue...But before go threw the trouble of reinstalling windows I thought I would see If anybody knew anything about this. ...

To see if the video card is the problem, remove it and use the on-board video controller or a different video card.  If Windows starts without a problem, you might try downloading the latest Windows XP drivers from the Web site of the video card manufacturer, booting with the video card, and installing the new drivers.

Doc

Always

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:30:21 PM »
    I dont have another video card to test with at this time as I just upgraded to PCI-E, however I have updated my display driver with the latest one fron nvidias web site. I even lowered the boot.ini timeout from 30 secs to 5 secs as suggested for faster boot times by some other resources when I tryed to google this issue. However there was no change at all in the freezing start up screen. As always, windows xp always loads in the end and has never completely frozen. Still appreciate all the help and ideas I can get on this matter, and thanks again.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »
    So, your motherboard does not have an SVGA connector to which you can connect your monitor?

Always

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 05:06:40 PM »
    No, otherwise I would of tryed that. I'm not getting as much feed back on this problem as i thought I would of. I was hoping it wouldnt be my hardware and be more of a software or motherboard deal, but you guys keep refering to my vid card. Are you guys just as stumped as me on this one? or does this really seem to be a hardware related issue?

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 05:13:17 PM »
      I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I'm wondering if you have any problem at all.
      How long does it take to load XP from when you hit the button until your desktop appears normal?
      2-3 minutes is about what most people seem to take by memory.

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 07:04:27 PM »
      We went from this:

Still appreciate all the help and ideas I can get on this matter, and thanks again.

To this:

No, otherwise I would of tryed that. I'm not getting as much feed back on this problem as i thought I would of.

in 3 1/2 hours?

Your impatience with start up times and trying to tweak that seems related to this. Different machines boot quicker, despite the same O/S. Fed may be on to something.  ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
        « Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »
        I would actually Say its your CD drive slowing down, as you said before Windows Did not pic this up straight away, and I'm not saying its broken, I'm just implying its slow to start.

I had a Problem with the CD Drive in my computer , and i haven't got round to trying to do the fix soybean Suggested, but when i put in my Old CD drive as a substitute my load time went from 5 Seconds to half a minute. and yes 5 Seconds is all it took windows to boot after a fresh install ^.^
        Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

Always

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 03:13:11 PM »
        Well I reinstaled windows and drivers from scratch in hopes that the the "freezing" would just go away, but no luck. My computer responds the same, which is when the windows xp loading screen first appears the load bar beneath the logo goes smooth for about 5 seconds, then freezes in wherever it is for about 30 seconds, then continues from where it was for another 5 seconds finally loading windows. Thats all the windows logo boot screen, not counting time to load up desktop or anything like that.
        Fed - It takes me about 2 minutes to get fully loaded with desktop and all.
        GX1_Man - Sorry if I come off as impatient, im not trying to knock any of the replys ive gotten, however I do believe this to be a problem. Although everything may seem to work and function fine now and I just suffer from an unusualy long loading time, I dont belive the "freezing" to be usual. I see it as a hint that something else is wrong, and now belive it to be hardware related for sure. Im not trying to tweak my computer or anything I just want it to run as smooth as possible/it should.
        Panboy - You may be on to something, although Ive never had problems with my dvd driver before, nor do I now when I burn with it and all. When the load bar is "frozen" I try to open my dvd drive and it's unresponsive, then when the load bar unfreezes it opens. I dont know if this is normal or not, but Im going to try and open a cd drive on my friends computer while its loading. Anything to pinpoint the issue.

Like I said, this isnt normal so Im going to continue to work with it until I find out what the deal is and still appreciate all help or input I can get, thanks.

Monty72

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 05:48:20 PM »
        Look can't you stand  30 Sec's? Just be happy it still boots up. :)