Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to delete item in BIOS boot order  (Read 4125 times)

Catherine_can

How to delete item in BIOS boot order
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:22:47 PM »
Phoenix Technologies BIOS A23 on a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop.  There is no option in this BIOS to reset to defaults or to remove an item in the boot order.  The item in question is "Cardbus NIC". I have disabled it but I want to also delete this item completely from the boot order.  Is there any way to do that?  Is it possible to replace this BIOS with a different BIOS? (I flashed it with a downloaded A23 version from Dell support site but nothing changed. FYI:  The version on Dell site is the latest one I've found and it's dated 2002.)

homer

Expert
    Re: How to delete item in BIOS boot order
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 06:53:45 PM »
    i do believe the BIOS detects ALL devices plugged into your computer. i assume when you remove the NIC card, the item will be gone from the BIOS.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 06:57:14 PM »
    You can't delete it.  Why do you want to?  You have it disabled, so what's the problem?  

Does Dell have any more recent BIOS updates?  Any that do not have that boot option in the BIOS?  I doubt it.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 06:59:58 PM by soybean »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 07:18:49 PM »
    You cannot delete it in the Dell BIOS, but disabling in the boot order should be sufficient.

An updated Dell BIOS is the only option. You cannot use something else.

Catherine_can

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 07:51:22 AM »
    Thank you, one and all, for your insights. To answer your questions:

(To homer) The NIC card was bent while in the PC card slot (the laptop had been jammed into an overhead bin on an airplane without being in its case -- I didn't do it). But, what I did do was to pull out the card later and throw it away. Probably a big mistake but too late now.  From everything I am looking at in Device Manager (more on that later) and from other aspects, it would appear to me that Windows "thinks" this damaged card is still in place;

(To soybean) The problem (even though Cardbus NIC is disabled in BIOS in the boot order) is this:  (see reply to homer, above) The NIC card drivers appear in Device Manager under Network Adapter in this way:  (3 entries)  US Robotics 10/100 PCMCIA NIC TX - Packet Scheduler Miniport, US Robotics 10/100 PCMCIA NIC TX #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport, and US Robotics 10/100 PCMCIA NIC TX #3 - Packet Scheduler Miniport.  Clicking on "Uninstall [the driver]" on each of these entries brings up the following on-screen msg:  "Cannnot uninstall ... This device may be needed to boot this computer."

Yes, I have also disabled these 3 entries in Device Manager but I would like to also uninstall them. However, these entries are clearly linked to the Cardbus NIC listing in the BIOS.

"Why do you want to?"  (soybean's question referring to my original query to remove Cardbus NIC from the BIO boot order).  Because I am beginning to suspect that what I outlined above is all tied in with the following problem:  Numerous attempts to install a new Belkin USB 2.0 Notebook Card on this laptop fail. The card is not recognized when placed in either of the Type II PC slots (one of which used to hold the NIC card that I threw away - dumb me, I know).  The card is not recognized in Device Manager. Etc, etc.

And, why do I want to install a USB 2.0 Notebook Card? Because I am using a Linksys Wireless USB network adapter on the only USB port that is integral to this laptop, and it is a 1.1 port.  I had the brilliant idea to want to use it in a USB 2.0 port, which can only be accomplished by activating the USB 2.0 Notebook Card.  And, to complete this dilemma, let it be noted that the only reason I am using the Linksys USB adapter is because of the Cardbus NIC problem.

FYI:  The two PCMCIA slots appear in Device Manager as working properly.

(To GX1_Man) Thank you, and please see above.

(To all who took the time to help me here) I have explored this problem in Microsoft support articles, have looked at the issues having to do with QoS Packet Scheduluers, and have emailed with Belkin support and US Robotics support. Am also considering formatting the hard drive and starting clean (always a last resort, thus not there yet).  Am also considering buying the PC slot cage on-line (not expensive), opening up the laptop (a dreaded prospect) and replacing the PC slots. None of this am I doing in a hurry because the laptop is not my main computer by any means.  We use it on trips for the Internet connection/email only.  I have no valuable data on it; I have all original installation CDs for every application and the OS.  So I'm in good shape to track down the solutions slowly.)