Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It just keeps getting worse  (Read 6647 times)

James_RW

It just keeps getting worse
« on: September 07, 2004, 03:56:04 AM »
 ???

Can anyone help???

It all started when I installed a new game (well new for my old PC) the other day, when ever I tried to load it, once it got past the intro video it just returned to the desktop, most of the time, it did occasionally work. So I went to look on the web for advice and was told to update my sound and video drivers.

My PC is an old PII 350 with windows 98. I went to ATI and downloaded what it said was the latest driver for my card, now when the game does play the colours are all wrong and blocky (I have also updated direct X above the one the game needs). So I tried a sligthly older driver, which was even worse, so I put the newer one back on. To add to this the company who made my sound card (Aureal) have gone out of business, so don't give drivers now. I have found on another page what was supposed to the the latest driver they did release, but when I load the diagnostic tool on my computer (some sort of direct X thing) when I test the sound, it says there is a fault there too.

It seems that what ever I try to do, the thing just gets worse, I am starting to think about getting another PC, but when it works, it does everything I need.

Does anyone have and advice how I should try and fix all this?

Thanks
James

Raptor

Re: It just keeps getting worse
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 05:17:56 AM »
Did you simply overwrite the videocard drivers? If yes, you may wish to thoroughly clean your computer by uninstalling them and running a program such Advanced System Optimizer V2 or Advanced Uninstaller Pro 2004

There is also a useful tool that removes drivers for you.. I'll get back to you on that once I recall the name.

Even though your soundcard manufacturer has gone out of business, use Google to search for drivers. There is quite a high chance of still finding them.

As for DirectX, see to it that you have the latest version from Mirosoft.

Buying a new PC will not solve your problems. It is not the PC's fault, it is the users fault. Your problems will just start anew if you donot know what you're doing.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 05:18:10 AM by Raptor »