Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: adding 4 port hub to wireless router?  (Read 2693 times)

K3WHO

adding 4 port hub to wireless router?
« on: July 19, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
Okay, here's my question. I have a wireless router with four network ports on the back. I only use the wireless for a lap top and the desktop machines are hardwired in. Now I recently added two computers to my collection but I only have four ports on the router. I have an old netgear four port hub that I was hoping might work with the router to connect all six computers to the network.

Instead of me writing a confusing book here I put together a simple diagram of what I was thinking of doing. If someone could have a look and let me know if it would work or not I'd appreciate it. http://www.terminus.co.nr/~osiris/misc/network.txt

Also there is a switch on the hub that says "normal" or "uplink", what should that be set on and what do those settings actually mean?

Thanks for any help  ;D

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: adding 4 port hub to wireless router?
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 07:02:45 AM »
    Ok the Uplink port First.

On old Hubs they could not Switch The Data Cables automaticly. when you use a Hub All Data that Comes in is sent out on ALL the Send ports, But if you connect to hub's Together you'll have the Send Wires connected i mean by that is one hub will send data , on the Wire the other hub is also sending on.. that wont work .

So they made the uplink switch that swaps over the Send wire and Receive wire. so that you can Connect 2 hubs.

New Switches Auto Swap , so you wont really have to Worry about that.

As for how you want to Set up the Network, it should work Perfic ^.^
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 07:22:15 AM »
    What make and model router do you have?  Here's some info from D-Link: Can I connect a hub or switch to my D-Link router to add more computers?

K3WHO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:40:20 AM »
    Okay, thanks much for the info guys. I hooked it up and it seems to be working just fine ;D