Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: file extentions  (Read 3532 times)

claw619

file extentions
« on: September 08, 2004, 10:40:03 AM »
does anyone know what the extension .SFV is on a file? i have a rom pack i downloaded for mame ending in that and i have no clue what it is.

2k dummy

Re: file extentions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 12:13:55 PM »
SFV stands for Simple File Verification.

Some of the downloaded files in the Net come bundled with a file that has an extension of .sfv -- this file is simply a verification file for the downloaded file itself.

SFV is basically a mathematical short checksum number based on the original file. When user downloads the original file and the .sfv file, user can use dedicated SFV check programs that use the SFV data to check the status of the downloaded file. If the SFV's checksum data doesn't match to the data that the validation program gets from the downloaded file, it typically means that the downloaded file is not complete or that the downloaded file has been corrupted during the transfer and needs to be downloaded again.

ben clawson

Re: file extentions
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 03:36:34 PM »
makes sense.  i was downloading a two part file that was 88 megs big.  thanks for explaining that to me.