Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Firewall (semi-serious post)  (Read 2646 times)

Neil

Topic Starter

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Windows Firewall (semi-serious post)
    « on: July 28, 2006, 10:12:44 AM »
    Is it just me or is Windows Firewall about as useful as a paintbrush is useful to a bucket of apples, none of whom can paint?

Several times I've been playing an online game, quit, only to see the Windows Firewall is blocking this program, do you wish to unblock dialog box. WHOAH. You mean you was BLOCKING this game I've just been playing? Gee I'd hate to see the securty risk if you WEREN't blocking it!

And some games I notice, either in the installer or options menu, provide an option to add the program into the exception list. You mean, programs can just ADD themselves at will? What is the point with that? What is to stop Mr. Barry the Hacker from change the text in his trojan horse program from "do you wish to add to firewall exception list", to "click here for free coockies, no trojans - honest". My network could be infected faster than you can say, "what DID the apples do with that paintbrush?" (they ate it, for the record)

Now, I'm a reasonable bloke. Provided I can turn something off, I don't mind how poor it is. But Windows Firewall refuses to die! Each time I run the network wizard, it takes the liberty to reactive itself and, like the Microsoft Paper Clip, just doesn't know when to quit! Argh! It is increadably annoying, wondering why this program does not work, to quit and find Windows Firewall has been blocking it (on the rare occasions it DOES block it!).

So is it just me, or is Windows Firewall a great plauge that befouls all of cyberdom?

Note: NO disagreeing technical information allowed! ;)

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
      Re: Windows Firewall (semi-serious post)
      « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:31:26 AM »
      None of the Problems you have Mentioned are problems.

Windows firewall may not be any good but nothing you have just said about it makes sense.
      Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

GX1_Man

« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:24:18 PM by GX1_Man »

Neil

Topic Starter

Expert
      • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
        Re: Windows Firewall (semi-serious post)
        « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 04:23:34 PM »
        Yes I am not a noob. This was supposed to be a somewhat humorous post not to be taken seriously. Sigh, guess I failed.

Panboy, basically programs, it seems, can add themselves to the Windows Firewall exception list and some are not even blocked by the firewall even though the firewall thinks it is blocking them. Seems like a proplem to me.

GX1_Man, thanks but no thanks I know how a firewall works.