Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reducing video size?  (Read 2559 times)

james_bondage

Reducing video size?
« on: July 30, 2006, 07:50:13 PM »
I run a music website. Recently, the wbesite held a small gathering which was all filmed. I'm going to put a few of the clips online, but first I want to make sure that I have the best size, format, and file type for my visitors.

What's the best file type for small, three minute videos that'll be downloaded by impatient music fans? What dimensions should I use? Codecs? Any programs in particular?

Also, I have no idea about codecs and such, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks thank thanks.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Reducing video size?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »
You might try Windows Movie Maker; it comes with Windows XP.  Did any software come with your video camera that can edit videos?  As far as best file type and Codecs, I have no idea.  

james_bondage

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:51:20 AM »
I have a great video editor, actually, but there are so many options when I go to create a file that I haven't been able to figure which formats, codecs, and resolutions result in lower sizes.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:55:03 PM »
Different file formats will have differing results depending on what's in the video. So it's hard to be categorical.  MPEG-based codecs are a good place to start.  Why not try MPG, AVI, or something DivX based?  Compare file sizes afterwards.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos