Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer doesn't turn on anymore  (Read 4432 times)

chanman

Computer doesn't turn on anymore
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:07:58 AM »
I have a sony vaio desktop (PCV-RX830 in case you're wondering). I come back from 2 months of vacation to find that my parents took my computer to their workplace so they can use it. I see it working fine as it had two months ago. So we open it up, blow the inside of dust and I bring it back to my home. As soon as I start it up at home the blue ON light comes on and so do the whirling of the fans. But then after a second or so of booting up, all the noise inside the computer slowly dies down and nothing shows up on the monitor. The blue light remains but it's obvious it's not on.

After a day trying to figure out what's wrong with it, I take it to Best Buy (cuz i bought it there) and have their people look at it (the biggest mistake i've ever made).
They tell me that my primary harddrive has bad sectors and my third memory card went bad (I had 3 memory cards totaling 1g).

I give them the benefit of the doubt and buy a new harddrive and memory stick. I install all of these into the computer myself since I don't want to pay extra and since I've already installed harddrives and memory sticks by myself before. I start up the computer and the same exact problem occurs. Even with a new harddrive the computer just doesn't boot. Nothing shows on the screen at all. All i'm left with is the dying noise of computer parts inside the tower.

Please someone tell me what's wrong and what I can do about it.

squirrel

Re: Computer doesn't turn on anymore
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 12:24:38 PM »
I have a sony vaio desktop (PCV-RX830 in case you're wondering).

As soon as I start it up at home the blue ON light comes on and so do the whirling of the fans. But then after a second or so of booting up, all the noise inside the computer slowly dies down and nothing shows up on the monitor. The blue light remains but it's obvious it's not on.

I buy a new harddrive and memory stick. I install all of these into the computer myself since I've already installed harddrives and memory sticks by myself before. I start up the computer and the same exact problem occurs. Even with a new harddrive the computer just doesn't boot. Nothing shows on the screen at all. All i'm left with is the dying noise of computer parts inside the tower.

1)Do you hear beeps?

2)What do they sound like?

3)Specs for PC?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:59:06 PM »
Take it back to Best Buy immediately and have them complete the work they charged you for. Either they did not know what they were talking about, and owe you a refund, a fix and and an apology, OR the parts you got there don't work and they owe you a refund, a fix and an apologyu.

Ask to speak to a manager and be firm.

chanman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:31 PM »
when it starts up it has the regular startup beep which is just one regular beep. During the whirling of the fans part, it makes a low machine gun noise. Like 3 rapid "duh"'s. When i turn it off it makes two fast hollow clicks, which i'm pretty sure never happened before.

my pc is:
-INTEL P4 2.66ghz
-was 1gig of ram before the best buy guy told me my 3rd stick was bad.
-before i changed harddrives i had 280gigs of space. primary was 80. secondary was 200 (secondary installed after purchase).
-windows XP
-533mhz bus

johnchain

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 02:05:33 PM »
3 BIOS beeps......memory configuration..............

Not sure if this is the same for you, but it could be. I once added more memory to my computer and it did that and did not turn on basically, fans...noise....same thing.

Check your manufactureres website for memory configuration. What happened to me was that I installed the configuration upside down since the website assumed you were looking at the computer from an upside down angle.

Also watch for static when changing parts.

And to what GX1_MAN was saying.....that's a good idea...but maybe you should also let them try to install it for you? That way if it doesn't work, they owe you money.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:33:33 PM »
Yes it sounds like 2/3 of a job was done. A local computer store is always preferable to Best Buy or their ild, as basically all they know how to do is $ell upgrade$.  ;)