Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Building New Comp -  Reboot and select proper  (Read 1940 times)

Ogreguy1

Building New Comp -  Reboot and select proper
« on: August 01, 2006, 03:30:34 PM »
 I just put together a computer for my dad and booted it up, got the "reboot and select proper boot device..." so I put in the winxp cd, pressed a key, and it restated the message. So I restarted with the cd in the drive, and it still wouldnt boot from it. I have 2 cd-rom drives installed (older ones from my dads previous computer), and in the Bios, it reads both of them as being connected, as well as the hdd. I changed the boot order from Floppy, Primary CD-Rom, HDD to Primary CD-Rom, Floppy, HDD. That didnt work either. Im thinking the cd rom drives may be busted, since they quit working on the old computer too. So I guess i'll switch out a known working drive and see if that works. Does that sound like a good plan of action?

System Specs:
400w ps
4x4x32 cd-rw
8x4x32 cd-rw
Floppy drive
asus k8n mobo (brand new)
nvidia 5200 256mb (brand new)
256 ddr2 ram (brand new)
160gb wd hdd (brand new, no previous OS)

homer

Expert
    Re: Building New Comp -  Reboot and select pr
    « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
    swapping the cd drives sounds like a good idea. let us know how it turns out. :)

P.S. im assuming your hdd is IDE, because you didnt specify.
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 05:53:11 PM by homer »

Ogreguy1

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 04:07:42 AM »
    Yeah, the cd-rom drives were busted. Switching a known working drive in worked. And the hdd is sata. So everything is all good now. =)

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 05:18:43 PM »
      thats good to hear. :)