Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Jerky DVD  (Read 2384 times)

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Jerky DVD
    « on: August 04, 2006, 08:22:57 AM »
    Hi,

I have an older eMachine with 256M RAM (Maxed out) running Win2K Pro.  I used to be able to play DVD movies on it using InterActual player. Awhile ago I did a system clean up, reformated the HD and reinstalled a freash Win2K on it. Ever since then, I can't play DVD on it any more. Besides from reinstalled OS and PowerDVD, hardware wise it's the same as before. I know this old dog can handle DVD since it was playing fine before. I just don't understand why it doesn't do it any more. :-? What causes the DVD to play jerky? Did I miss some configuration?

MacPC

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Jerky DVD
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »
    So, you used InterActual player before the OS reinstall and now you're using PowerDVD, right?  Can you reinstall InterActual and try it again?  Do you have your resolution and other display settings (monitor refresh rate, color, etc.) set the same as before the OS reinstall?  Are you usng the same video driver now as before the OS reinstall?

How does the rest of your new software configuration compare to the old?  Same anti-virus?  Same firewall?  Same programs running in the background?  Etc.?

Have you run Disk Cleanup since your OS reinstall?  You may have a lot of files in your Temp folder; might help to clean it out.  
    « Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:45:07 AM by soybean »

MacPC

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 11:41:31 AM »
      Hi Soybean, thanks for the reply. Well, I used the PowerDVD and InterActual before the reinstallation. But InterAtual worked better. No hardware has been changed after the reinstallation and the HD is actually cleaner then ever since I reformated the drive. I set the resolution to 640x480 as I did before. Come to think of it, I did installed more RAM from 128M to 256M. I thought if anything at all, more memory would only make it better, not worse. I wonder what else can be wrong?  :o

MacPC

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »
      Yes, the additional memory should help.  What about other points I mentioned?  

Does Device Manager show a clean bill of health?  No yellow triangles?  Do you have the same DirectX installed now as before?  Try running dxdiag and run the tests for Display.  Are they OK?  Do you have jerky play with any DVD or just certain ones?