Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HELP: Computer is non-responsive...  (Read 3551 times)

SalaamDementia

HELP: Computer is non-responsive...
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
I recently was given some extra RAM by a friend. I wasn't sure if it was the correct size for my PC, so I removed the RAM to check. It indeed was the wrong size, so I replaced the RAM and tossed the extra RAM given to me. I'm sure that the RAM stick was placed back into the computer the right way and is fastened down tightly.

When I reconnected everything, the computer turned on fine. But it didn't seem to be recognizing the monitor. Nothing was coming up on the screen and instead of the power light being green, it was orange. So, I checked all my connections and tried again. It still wouldn't do anything. So, I checked all the internal connections as well. I hooked a different monitor up and got the same result.

At the moment, my situation is the same. Both power lights on the tower and the monitor are orange instead of green. The computer won't respond to any key commands, nor will it even try to initiate opening Windows XP.

Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? Could I have damaged the RAM when removing it? Any help or ideas would be amazing. I have no idea where to start or what to do. I've got a lot of work saved on my computer that I really can't stand to lose.

-Thanks  

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HELP: Computer is non-responsive...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »
Have you checked other connections and did you take anti-static precautions when changing ram sticks?

Your data on the hdd is probably safe, slave it on another pc using the same file system.

When posting please give details of your pc especially the OS and file system in use.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

SalaamDementia

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 05:23:03 PM »
The operating system is Windows XP.

My computer knowledge is limited in some areas, a file system is what?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 05:45:35 PM »
With XP two file systems are available, FAT32 and/or NTFS.  You are most likely to be using NTFS.  (Google for explanations of file systems)

Dos based OS's (Win.9x, ME) cannot read NTFS.

Slaving your hdd will allow you to recover your files.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 06:42:47 PM »
I would start by removing the CMOS battery (round and shiny, about the size of a nickel) for about 10 minutes with the computer unplugged. Then reinsert and power up. It should reset all BIOS settings to default and we can tweak if needed. What motherboard or computer make/model?