Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer swiches off 15mins into game  (Read 2350 times)

Damman

Computer swiches off 15mins into game
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:40:51 PM »
 :-[Can anyone give me some advice on the following.

I have a Pentium 4 dual core 3.00 ghz processor, Msi 5950 ultra G force graphics card, plenty of hard drive space 250 gig. 2 gig of ddr133 ram and a jeantech artic 600 watt power supply.

I bought the game Rise and Fall a few weeks ago and it seemed to work fine on my computer.
a few days ago I cleaned my drive and did a clean install of xp pro. also downloaded the latest patch for the game and all the latest drivers etc.

Now everytime i start Rise and fall and other similar games the digital tempreture rises up to 35c from its norm of 27 to 28c and the computer just cuts off after about 15mins.

It seems like the power supply safety cut off, but it is only a couple of months old and unless I run a game everything is fine.

Anybody got any ideas what it might be?                       Thanks in advance for any help Damman

GX1_Man

Re: Computer swiches off 15mins into game
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 05:34:05 PM »
These symptoms are usually a bad PSU, bad RAM or excessive heat. You can test  the RAM with a free download  from www.memtest86.com. You can test the heat theory by removing the side pannel and  blowing a  fan directly in there while gaming, Either a test of the PSU output with a meter or replacing with a known good one would  test that possibility.

I would be inclined to guess PSU.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 05:37:28 PM by GX1_Man »

compEngineer0

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
well if your temps are only 35c then its not likely a heat problem. i would look more at the PSU... i've never heard of jeantech so i don't know what kind of brand it is, but your PSU might be faulty. if you can, return that one and get a new one and see if that fixes your problem. memtest86 is an excellent program, doesn't hurt to check your ram either.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:52 PM »
Specs on the PSU seem good, but I too have never heard of that brand. Where did you get it? Is it new?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 04:52:12 PM »
Specs on the PSU seem good, but I too have never heard of that brand. Where did you get it? Is it new?

Please post back on the 3 issues addressed.