Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer is worse then a turtle...  (Read 2235 times)

tori

computer is worse then a turtle...
« on: August 07, 2006, 04:56:41 PM »
hi,, I hope someone can help me.. My computer is REALLY, REALLY slow... no matter if I am on the net OR just working on the desktop, it takes forever to do anything..

I have run all the diognostic, restore and clean up programs I can think of, but still no improvement...

I have xp, 3ghd, 256 ram.. not sure what else is needed but thats a start..

thankyou
vicky >:( :-?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: computer is worse then a turtle...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 05:11:15 PM »
Your hard disk is only 3 GB? Are you sure?  :o  Also, 256 is enough to slow a system down pretty well. What programs do you have running in the background while on the computer? Which antivirus protector do you have? Are you sure that you're virus free?

Flame

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »
    Your hard disk is only 3 GB? Are you sure?  :o  Also, 256 is enough to slow a system down pretty well. What programs do you have running in the background while on the computer? Which antivirus protector do you have? Are you sure that you're virus free?

Flame

Its 3Ghz.

Has it always been slow? Try Running Ad-Aware, its the best program for getting speed back. Google or Download.com it.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »
    256 RAM is a waste of a good 300 Ghz. machine. Double the RAM and it will scoot along a lot quicker. Remove some of the XP crappola eye candy, indexing services, etc. and it will fly. Remove all of the spyware/adware, etc. and you will be very pleased.

tori

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 07:33:50 PM »
    oops.. :-[ got some statistics wrong.. it is a 3.2ghz, and 512 ram.. it has only gotten slow the last couple of days... I have ad-aware, ccleaner, edwido, spybot.. all which I run regularly.. I also have AVG and NORTON.. which run everyday at least once...

Im not sure how to find out what is running in the background, when I CTL,ALT,DELETE there is nothing running so not sure where to look..

anymore ideas... :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
    Two antiviruses is a BAD idrea. Pick one and delete the other immediately and see if that helps.