Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Mouse and keyboard do not work  (Read 2035 times)

AnnaKay

Mouse and keyboard do not work
« on: August 07, 2006, 07:59:13 PM »
So, this spring I spilled water on my laptop.  I opened everything up and dried it out for a day or two with a fan.  When I put everything back together it worked pretty well except the left shift key stopped functioning.  Everything has been fine since then until....my computer became completely non-functional yesterday.  When I try to click on anything it pops up and then immediately disappears.  The same thing happens if I use the keyboard to navigate.  Shutting the computer down (which by the way took about 10 mins) fixed the problem for a minute or two, but other than that I can't do anything with the computer.  If anyone has any ideas of how I could fix this problem or why this would have happened I'd be very grateful.  Thanks, Anna.  

I guess it might also be worth mentioning that a series of beeps are emitted when booting up.  This happens sometimes, but not always.

Dell Inspiron 5100, 3.5 yrs old
« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 08:05:37 PM by AnnaKay »

GX1_Man

Re: Mouse and keyboard do not work
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 08:02:15 PM »
So, this spring I [highlight]spilled water on my laptop[/highlight].  I opened everything up and dried it out for a day or two with a fan.  When I put everything back together it worked pretty well except the left shift key stopped functioning.  Everything has been fine since then until....my computer became completely non-functional yesterday.  When I try to click on anything it pops up and then immediately disappears.  The same thing happens if I use the keyboard to navigate.  Shutting the computer down (which by the way took about 10 mins) fixed the problem for a minute or two, but other than that I can't do anything with the computer.  If anyone has any ideas of how I could fix this problem or [highlight]why this would have happened [/highlight]I'd be very grateful.  Thanks, Anna.  

Liquid and laptops don't mix. It may have just taken this long to complete the damage that was noticed immediately. You may need just a new keyboard, but it may require more.

What machine and how old? The question would be if the cost of the repair exceeded it's worth.