Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Your Windows XP is not Genuine  SOLUTIONS  (Read 9930 times)

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Your Windows XP is not Genuine  SOLUTIONS
    « on: August 08, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »
    I posted about a week ago about my Windows XP home edtition not being genuine.
    I have contacted Microsoft support (India) they do not even know what I am talking about. It was a waste.
    So I want to share what I have found out and where you can go to get some help.
    1. Windows Genuine Advantage Validation tool was most likely downloaded with a security update from Microsoft.  
    2. It cannot be removed from add or remove programs (not even by a back door method)
    3. Microsoft is very aware of the problem and have set up a spcific forum to address this issue.

LINK  http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25

4. They do not seem to have a solution to fix my problem.
    I have been working with them for the last four days with no resolution. However they have esculated it up the chain of techies, and they are trying to resolve the issue.
    5. If you are having a problem with Genuine validation check the forum out some people have solved their problems. So far it is the best place to start.

Good Luck
    « Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:28:52 AM by fsuwolf »

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Your Windows XP is not Genuine  (place to sta
    « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »
    Exactly what is the "problem"?  The mere fact that you can't remove Windows Genuine Advantage from your Add or Remove Programs list is not what I would consider a problem.
    « Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:06:01 AM by soybean »

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
      Re: Your Windows XP is not Genuine  (place to
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 08:16:22 AM »
      The problem is if Windows Genuine validation tool does not recognize my software as Microsoft Genuine I will not be entitled to updates or support for Windows XP and will have problems installing Microsoft products in the future. Plus I get an annoying pop everyday before I sign on that requires me to GET GENUIUNE or RESOLVE LATER and the contiunation of pop up on my system all day long.

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
        Also to add the system says " You maybe the victum of software conterfeiting"
        The progam was sent by Microsoft the catch people who are pirating software.
        But there seems to be a bug (not suprising) that will not validate some computers that are running genuine software.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:36:16 AM »
        I see you have/had a discussion going at http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=611829&SiteID=25.  Did you follow through on this advice:

If not, you can also file a specific free WGA support case at

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=9860&

The support engineers there can walk you through that by remote assistance as well.

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 08:39:56 AM »
          Yes, I have also sent an e-mail to their support engineers and am waiting for a response. I read the post by AEJ who was could not even log on. Finally got a Michelle  who is a WGA Manager involved. I put my link  so they  could read the whole thread.

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »
          Well, thanks for sharing your experience on this issue with us.  Obviously, it has been a frustrating ordeal for you and apparently for a significant number of Windows users.  Keep us posted on how it turns out.  

Saviour

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:31:39 AM »
          fsuwolf and soybean...

I am in agreement when you state that others are having this issue with WGA validation, however, the problem usually occurs when someone is using Windows software on more than one computer...or a product code that has already been validated.

Most of the time on a "clean" install...from a Windows XP cd (that is not OEM) you will get the prompt for validation.  If Windows cannot validate, you'll be given the option to call for validation...where you'll be asked if it is a retail or OEM version and the reason why you are having issues with validation.  If the reason is acceptable, Microsoft will give you a validation code to enter at the validation prompt.

The problem is that OEM software is usually proprietary for a particular machine and you cannot install it on a different machine.  For instance...installing from a Dell recovery cd on a Gateway machine.

A Windows XP retail cd can be installed on any PC, but can only be registered and validated once...unless you need to reinstall the software, in which case you'll need to go through the validation process I described above.  Microsoft will give you a validation code to enter, if the procedure is followed correctly during the install.  This usually resolves the issue you seem to be facing fsuwolf.

Please go to the following page for more FAQs and info on Windows Genuine Advantage validation:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

Hope you find this info helpful and not redundant.

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:14 AM »
            Saviour,

The Windows XP is OEM and is on the computer it was orginally installed on. The computer is 5 years old, not a brand new computer. The Genuine Validation started Aug 1 2006 and most likely a bug that is causing my software not to be validated.  Microsoft  began  to send out with updates  a new version of Windows Genuine Validation Tool that I downloaded on July 31,2006.  That created a bit of confusion with me, since I had registered my license key when I bought the computer five years ago.
            I have downloaded and run windows genuine diagnostic tool and the product is geniune, have also been on Microsofts GET GENUINE site and validated my software as geniune. The validation tool is permanant on the computer you cannot remove it like older versions. If Microsoft cannot get this resolved then everytime they update the Validation tool I will get the message that my software is not genuine and I will have to start this whole process over again.

Saviour

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 11:20:38 AM »
            fsuwolf...

Something you may want to try...if you haven't already...

I noticed in your forum reply at Microsft, that you are using the Firefox browser...is this correct?

If it is, they have specific instructions for validating Windows using this browser:

1) Go to the following page:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/RunHTA.aspx?displaylang=en

2)  Click the link to Validate Now.

3)  Firefox may not allow you to Run the program from its current location, but at any rate, if it does, instead of running the program from its current location, save the file to your desktop.

4)  Locate the file on your desktop and double-click it to launch the application and follow the validation procedure.

Again, hope this info is not redundant and that you can reply to the PM I sent you.

More info...

Make sure your Firefox browser is current and has the plug-ins for WGA or OGA installed correctly.

Instead of using Firefox for validation, try it using IE.
            « Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:40:33 AM by Saviour »

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 11:37:41 AM »
              Saviour,

I did download it and save to it to desktop, they have asked me repeatedly to rerun the validation tool and copy to clipboard and post on their site.  I thought about trying what Michelle told AEJ (under that thread) concerning inserting the Windows XP disc in and when I restart the computer boot from disc. but as I read further it is a temp fix at best. She finally instructed AEJ to contact support engineering.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:09:54 PM »
                fsuwolf.......  There would appear to be 2 differant WGA tools ...being sent out ,
                1 is the WGA Validation tool and the other is the WGA Notification tool .......
                do you have any other M/S products installed which require registration and validation ?   It may be that your OEM copy of XP is legal , however if you have other M/S software installed , which isn't ...... that would trigger the issue ..........

dl65  ::)
                If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

fsuwolf

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
                  Dl65,

I purchased Micrososft office from Best Buys and I know it is genuine. The only other is window media player and it was to update to the lastest version from Microsoft. I seemed to notice the problems when I had to download SP2 from Microsoft, outlook express would not open and gave me a bad image error missing a mapi32.dll file. Media player will not burn cd's and closes out without notice or error message.  Not a virus ran complete check. Had to set my computer back to the last know working configurations. That  allowed me to open outlook with only one bad image error. For now the media player stay up and running still will not burn cd's

MacPC

Intermediate
                    « Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 08:05:49 PM »
                    I can't help to jump into this conversation. My friend has a Dell with the Windows Home bundle disk. She tried to reinstall the OS but she couldn't, so she asked me for help. I entered the number on the little sticker on the side of the PC. It won't let me install it. I called MS for help and we were accused of pirating and the tech guy refused to issue a new number. How could a Dell disk that comes with the computer be a fake? After three long phone calls going back and for, finally we convinced the superviser to issued a new number. I am just so sick of the way Microsoft treats its customer. To me, the Windows OS wasted hours of my time due to its verious problem, Microsoft ought to pay me to use its craps.

Well, down with Windows and up with UBUNTU !!!!  ;D

MacPC

GX1_Man

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »
                    I would think that a digital pic of the Windows CD, the OEM sticker and a receipt would be enough.

I will never buy another Microsoft product again, for this and other reasons. Linux works well for me.   ;)