Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help required on changing my Hard Drive  (Read 3239 times)

Ronniebaby

Help required on changing my Hard Drive
« on: September 10, 2004, 06:40:59 AM »
I have a 60gb HD, with Windows ME, we have recently bought a 120gb HD and want to put XP in it.

My problem is I have soo much stuff that I want on the old hard drive, and cant think of a way of transfering it over, other than copying all the stuuf on to CD's etc.

I was told that I can do 1 of 2 things, either get a lead to connect to both HD's and copy across, or put both HD's in the pc as there should be a spare slot and then copy across that way.

Can anyone help me PLEASE !!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'(

Raptor

Re: Help required on changing my Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:46:49 AM »
Why not use both harddrives?

Install them both, connect them to the IDE cables and set one to Master, one to slave. Either by using the Jumper and selecting Master/Slave or by using Cable Select and using the BIOS.

Instructions should be printed on a sticker on top of the manual.

Ronniebaby

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 06:50:02 AM »
Thanks Raptor.

But we think the old HD is on its way out, it takes 9 attempts to start the pc, then it will crash periodically, or hang or fresh, yet out of the 60 GB we only use 9GB, also it is affecting a lot of my packages, I cant copy data on to a cd if the start up hasnt been smooth, or my zip drive wont work, omg there are loads of problems, which I have been told maybe due to Windows ME, but also the HD too.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 08:31:58 AM »
Once you have the new HDD mounted and set to master, you can safely copy files from the older HDD. I think this stresses it less than actually having both an operating system on it and burning data to CD's.

Ronniebaby

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »
 ;D  Thanks very much Raptor, I'll try it tomorrow  :)