Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive won't even power on  (Read 2441 times)

melliemel

External Hard Drive won't even power on
« on: August 11, 2006, 12:40:08 AM »
I have had a failure...I should have known that one day my external hard drive (Western Digital) would die, all the signs were there. The lights on the front gave out quite a while ago, for the last month or so the connection with the computer would be fine but then it would say that the file could not be found. Then last night, I think it has officially given out while I was in the process of transfering stuff to my new hard drive. Is there anyway for me to retrieve the information, music, pics etc? Is it simply a matter of replacing some kind of internal power supply? Because the external works just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:40:58 AM by melliemel »

GX1_Man

Re: External Hard Drive won't even power on
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 04:12:25 AM »
Some people have had luck putting the affected drive in a plastic bag in the freezer for 30 minutes, then mounting and using quickly upon removal. Get the data off quickly if it appears to be working!

There was a poster looking to store all of his valuable data on an external drive because he did not want to use DVD's as it took too long. Maybe this will help him to decide smarter as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:12:55 AM by GX1_Man »