Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer overheated i smell smoke  (Read 3171 times)

sam510

computer overheated i smell smoke
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:26:04 AM »
Hello, well i have 2 computers 1 hp 1 emachines. The Emachines had all the jumper cables disconnect cuz i just switched hds and when i put the jumper cable on and power it up it just turned off automaticly and i could smell the burn. so i dont know what to do. i dont know which part burned. my guess is the reason it did that is because a jumper cable got in the fans way. Is there anyway to fix it, and if not i had another question. what parts of the burnt computer can i use on the 1 that works. i manely want to take out the graphics card on the burnt computer and put it in this 1 cuz its a good graphics card. but i dont know which part of the computer is the graphics card or how to switch it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:27:59 AM by sam510 »

pcdoc4christ

Re: computer overheated i smell smoke
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 03:46:14 AM »
If it was the fan on the central processor, the processor is toast (sorry for the bad humor).  I'd suggest taking it to a computer repair shop and having them replace the processor for you.  The motherboard and expansion cards and drives might still be undamaged.

sam510

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 03:52:21 AM »
If it was the fan on the central processor, the processor is toast (sorry for the bad humor).  I'd suggest taking it to a computer repair shop and having them replace the processor for you.  The motherboard and expansion cards and drives might still be undamaged.

yea im still a little slow what part is the processor and motherboard and expansion cards and drives lol

sam510

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:57:38 AM »
lol im trying to google everypart u mentioned but can i get some help here?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 04:04:22 AM »
yea im still a little slow what part is the processor and motherboard and expansion cards and drives lol

The motherboard is the large, flat object that everything inside the computer plugs into (think of it like the spine of your computer).  The central processing unit (or CPU) is the rectangular or square shaped processor that plugs into the motherboard (think of it like the brain of your computer).  It usually has a heatsink made of metal on top of it and a fan attached to the heatsink.  Expansion cards are cards that plug into slots on the motherboard that expand what the computer can do and that things outside your computer plug into (think of them like the arms and legs of your computer).

The processor works so hard it gets hot and will burn up in little time if the fan on the heatsink stops spinning, which i'm thinking is the cause of your smoking problem.  

Also, there is risk of electrocution or even death if you do not know what you are doing when you try to repair a computer, even if it is unplugged, so be careful.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 04:06:28 AM »
If you insist on doing it yourself, unplug the computer and follow the advice at this Web site:

www.pcnineoneone.com

sam510

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 04:11:57 AM »

The motherboard is the large, flat object that everything inside the computer plugs into (think of it like the spine of your computer).  The central processing unit (or CPU) is the rectangular or square shaped processor that plugs into the motherboard (think of it like the brain of your computer).  It usually has a heatsink made of metal on top of it and a fan attached to the heatsink.  Expansion cards are cards that plug into slots on the motherboard that expand what the computer can do and that things outside your computer plug into (think of them like the arms and legs of your computer).

The processor works so hard it gets hot and will burn up in little time if the fan on the heatsink stops spinning, which i'm thinking is the cause of your smoking problem.  

Also, there is risk of electrocution or even death if you do not know what you are doing when you try to repair a computer, even if it is unplugged, so be careful.

=o i just took out the motherboard and since u told me that death *censored* im scared to even go near my computer lol. put anyways im deciding that i just wanna use the computers parts for me working computer to make it better. now which part is the graphics card on my computer and how do i take it out and switch it with the 1 on my working computer? and what other parts of the computer can i use for my working computer

sam510

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 04:36:10 AM »
pcdoc4christ do u have aim or msn? cuz id rather talk to u there then on here

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 06:59:11 AM »
I think you would be better served to take it to a shop. Just my observation.

Here are some pictures. Maybe you just googled for the wrong terms:

http://cr.yp.to/hardware/assembly.html

sam510

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 04:07:20 PM »
is a new processor expensive?

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 05:05:03 PM »
Do you know what kind it was? Find out and check on www.newegg.com

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 06:46:01 AM »
i just took out the motherboard and since u told me that death *censored* im scared to even go near my computer lol. put anyways im deciding that i just wanna use the computers parts for me working computer to make it better. now which part is the graphics card on my computer and how do i take it out and switch it with the 1 on my working computer? and what other parts of the computer can i use for my working computer

You will be OK if you unplug the computer and do NOT stick any object inside the power supply (the box with the electrical cord that plugs into the wall outlet.  

The video card is likely the one with the connector with 15 holes that the connector with 15 pins from the monitor plugs into.

Other expansion cards you might want to use in the other computer are the NIC (network interface card), the modem (cable or dial-up), the sound card, and the USB card, to name a few.  Your PC may have some or none of these expansion cards, as many motherboards have these capabilities build right into the motherboard itself.

Keep us posted.

Doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 06:48:07 AM »
pcdoc4christ do u have aim or msn? cuz id rather talk to u there then on here

Nope.  However, you can send me an e-mail.  My address is pcdoc4christ at gmail dot com.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:52:15 AM by pcdoc4christ »

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 06:50:24 AM »
I think you would be better served to take it to a shop. Just my observation.
<---- Agrees with GX, but is willing to talk Sam through PC "surgery" if s/he is up for it.  8-)

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 06:52:44 AM by pcdoc4christ »