Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet suddenly very slow.  (Read 2477 times)

RobertDunne

Internet suddenly very slow.
« on: August 14, 2006, 07:24:40 PM »
I have a broadband internet connection and I usually get speeds of 250+ kbps when downloading from most sites and I can usually get 3 or four downloads of 100kbps when using p2p networks. but all that changed a week ago suddenly im getting speeds of 20-50 downloading fron sites and 80 at most downloading from p2p. my brother uses the same line and he is getting normal speeds on his bb modem. for about 20 mins last night my speeds went back to normal then died again.I have never had internet speed problems before and I dont see how my modem could be faulty as I havent mishandled it or messed with settings in any way recently. the only thing I have done recently to do with the internet is reset web settings in tools/internetoptions/programs/resetwebsettings as the last stage in manualy removing a virus. It is incredibly annoying having a broadband system with speeds of 50-80 max as my brother glaots about his speedy speeds =D. Any help or suggestions on this matter would be very welcome as I am at my wits end. Thank you for reading.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Internet suddenly very slow.
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:50:46 PM »
     RobertDunne......  So both you and your brother are connected through the same router ?  So it would appear the issue is not the modem or the router ......but rather something going on with your pc. Are you sure you have corrected the virus and or trojan issue ?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

RobertDunne

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 08:23:48 PM »
    No myself and my brother use seperate routers, we just transfer the phone wire between them but i am still pretty sure it is not a router problem. And yes i am quite sure there are no viruses/trogans on my pc.

RobertDunne

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:04:22 PM »
    I just realised  my last reply may have sounded a little blunt or snide so pease do not take offense

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:29:44 PM »
      RobertDunne  ...Ok , I'll simply ignore your responses ...lol.....  Perhaps you could explain what you mean by...... [highlight]"we just transfer the phone wire between them "[/highlight]  I must be missing something here ....... If you transfer the phone line ( are you saying you have 2 DSL modems as well as 2 routers ?  ) and if you do ....... WHY ?

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:30:00 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

RobertDunne

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 02:27:13 AM »
      They are dsl modems and routers in one. We were sent two free ones by the internet provider by mistake and as our house is very large and the rooms are very far apart we didnt have an ethernet cable long eough to connect the 2 computers so we just took one of these modem/routers each and transfered the phone wire between them so as we dont have to bother finding a very long cable or buy a wireless card ect. But its irrelivant anyway as last night a swaped modems with my bother and the problem is still there. So it must be a settings or software problem?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:28 AM »
      Perhaps they are modem routers?  I suggest swapping the routers over.  Then you will be able to tell for sure if the router is at fault.

Use an external bandwidth test for best results.
      « Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 02:32:37 AM by robpomeroy »
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

johnchain

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:40:06 AM »
      Well, first of all, I don't know about viruses or trojans, but when internet is slow the first symptom is always spyware. Use a free spyware scanner such as Ad-Aware and Spybot, then be "quite sure" (lol) if you have no viruses.

As for the internet randomly dying, you can always ask your ISP and make sure first that it's not them! But try these guys' ideas first, their usually right.