Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem copying files  (Read 2106 times)

darylnico

problem copying files
« on: August 20, 2006, 08:17:41 AM »
i just finished reformatting my pc, and when windows(xp) starts to copy files to be used on my hard disk, the error "can't read from source" comes up. sometimes its shell.dll or something that cannot be copied, the file changes with every restart i make. i switched cd roms and cd installers but the same problem always comes up.

any ideas on this one?

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    Re: problem copying files
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 08:28:50 AM »
    Try reading http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257954

These disks ARE legal, right? Have you ever installed XP on this machine before, without problems?

darylnico

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:13:14 PM »
    its legit, and ive used the same cd on 3 different pc's and it works. i used it before on this machine, but it seems to have that problem now.

darylnico

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 07:22:58 AM »
    :D got it to work now, changed the memory card, dunno what the connection is but is working now. tried to insert the old memory after installation and the system always crashes at startup.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:23:36 AM »
    its legit, and [highlight]ive used the same cd on 3 different pc's and it works.[/highlight] i used it before on this machine, but it seems to have that problem now.

::) ::) ::) ::)

Michael

Adviser
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »
      its [highlight]legit[/highlight], and ive used the same cd on [highlight]3 different pc's[/highlight] and it works. i used it before on this machine, but it seems to have that problem now.
      Same thought when I read that  ;D

Maksim

Hopeful
        « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:26 PM »
        I dont know what PC you are using either its SATA for the Hard Drives or the IDE either one.. try chaning the SATA or the IDE cables around what i meant is take the CDROM IDE Cable and put it on the Hard Drive.. try if that works..