Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: outlook 2002 automatic email forwarding  (Read 4122 times)

marknlard

outlook 2002 automatic email forwarding
« on: August 23, 2006, 04:21:44 AM »
hi,

i am shortly changing jobs and my boss has asked me to set up outlook 2002 so that after i leave emails received to my address are automatically forwarded on to the boss.

i would prefer my personal emails to not be forwarded along with everything else, so is there a way i can do this?

i currently use rules wizard so that personal emails are sent to one folder, so does anyone know how i can forward only emails that are not in this folder? or, could i block all email addresses that i deem personal? i've looked into this, but it appears to only send them to the junk email folder, which is no use to me if outlook forwards on this folder as well.

obviously, i am unable to experiment, without drawing attention within the office to what i am attempting! the advice i have found on the internet relates to Outlook Express rather than 2002.

is anyone able to assist me? thank you!

IT-Guy

Re: outlook 2002 automatic email forwarding
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:27:10 AM »
Well.. it seems to me that if you know how to use Outlook Rules, then you ought to know that you have many variables to choose from.  For example, you can take all email from any address you deem as personal, and either delete it immediately, forward it to a personal email address, or even have the server send a reply for you.

marknlard

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »
thanks for the response.

it's true that i have used rules wizard to get my mail set up as it currently is, but it's my understanding that the wizard only kicks in when i open my outlook. so if i'm not here to open it (as i won't be), then would the rules i've set up become redundant? in other words, am i right in saying that all mail would be forwarded (rather than just certain mail subject to the rules i set)?

in which case, do you think i would be able to block domains or certain email addresses? that is, as opposed to setting them up as junk senders which would run the rule only when my outlook is opened, stopping them from getting through to be forwarded in the first place? i'm not concerned about current emails, but future ones.

IT-Guy

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 08:30:14 AM »
No.  the rules are set on the server, so regardless if you log in to download your mail, the rules are already applied.  If you tell the server to forward in a rule, it will do so there.  I don't know about forwarding by domain name, but I suggest you go in and explore your options.  See what you have to work with.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:47:18 AM »
Why not use OE for personal email?  Or, if you are going to access personal email at work, just use a webmail access, i.e. access your email by web browser, and only download personal email to your computer at home.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:29:55 AM »
No.  the rules are set on the server
Sorry, but I don't believe this to be true.  Outlook rules are client-based.  Outlook does not possess the necessary APIs to set up server-based message redirection, particularly given that there are so many different IMAP and POP3 email servers out there.  Outlook may possibly be able to do this with an Exchange server, but that would be it, absolutely.  It does not understand Cyrus, Courier, Merak, VPOP, procmail, sieve, or any of the other mail storage providers/sorting interfaces.

The question is, does your email provider give you server-based sorting and responding rules?  Some sophisticated email servers will enable to you selectively forward emails based on a wide range of rules.  That's where you need to look first.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

IT-Guy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:37:04 AM »
Oh.. yes.. I am speaking of using Exchange.  I just assumed that having been speaking of using email at work, you were using an Exchange server, which does keep the rules.  When on Exchange, the client only keeps certain rules which are client based, but it tells you that if you make one which cannot be run from the server.  Otherwise, you can setup your mail to forward to your house when .. say .. on vacation.  Obviously you're not there, but you still want to get your mail.