Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Settings not working on user account ?  (Read 2261 times)

JJFOESS

Settings not working on user account ?
« on: August 23, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
Good Morning All,
My computer started to have a ton of pop ups, I'm sure it is a virus or worm, however, when I startup in safe mode to try to download a spyware removal program, the safe mode does not recognize any internet connections. Should this happen?  How can I get to the web to even download a program to check for viruses? When in safe mode I can see the desktop icons and get to the programs but not when I start windows normally under my user account the background page and there are no processes or apps running in the task manager. Any ideas on how to get this back?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Settings not working on user account ?
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 08:05:57 AM »
    We need a lot more information to help you.

Operating system / do you have any antivirus-antispyware already installed / if so do you keep them updated and run on a regular basis / have you tried running what you've got?

When going into safe mode are you choosing "Safe Mode with Networking"?  If you don't then you WON'T be able to connect to the internet.

Post back with more info and we can help you better  ;)

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

JJFOESS

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
    Sorry for being so vauge. I was trying to keep it simple. I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2 it is my home computer with an administrator setting and 1 user setting with administrative funtions. I have run adaware, (the free one by lavasoft). It did find some things to quarantine. No, I did not go into safe mode with networking, I thought that was for a computers set up with a server. I will try that tonight, to see if I can get to the web to download another cleaner type program. Anything else I should try?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:37:42 PM »
      Ok,

1st, have you tried going back using system restore to a time when you didn't have these problems?  If not, try.  If you have and you still have issues, do the following:

Go here and run:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Go here, download, update and run:          

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#ewido-free

Go here, download, update and run:

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html

I run 4 different anti-spyware on my systems to keep them clean.  I've very diligent about doing that as I run my business off one of them and can't afford to have it go down.

If you're not hooked on Windows, you might try looking into Linux as an alternative.  It's a steep learning curve (I started my journey about a week ago) but if for nothing else, the security on how Linux is constructed makes me sleep easier at night  ;)

Hope these suggestions help

Alan <><  :D
      I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!