Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts down randomly  (Read 1781 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Computer shuts down randomly
    « on: August 24, 2006, 11:30:21 AM »
    I've had my computer for about a year now (was not new when i got it), and it's been fine until now. Suddenly it will just shut down for no apparent reason and it won't turn back on. I leave it for maybe half an hour and i can use it again for maybe an hour or maybe a few days, but then it will shut down again for no reason.
    It actually happened right after i downloaded a file, the obvious thing would be that the file had a virus with it, but i did a virus scan, spyware, ad-aware, and nothing. (note i used AVG free edition for virus scan, maybe it didn't pick up the virus?)
    Also, when I try to start it back up right after it's shut down sometimes it will jsut come on for a few seconds and then shut back down, but sometimes it will keep making the sound of it just starting up and do nothing until i shut it down.
    Anyone have any ideas on it?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer shuts down randomly
    « Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:49:11 PM »
    Overheating
    Power Supply failing
    Bad RAM.

DLoad motherboard monitor and check your temps.
    DLoad and run Memtest to test the RAM...let it run for awhile...any errors and the RAM has gone bad.
    PSU ...replace. Don't buy a cheap one...they are headaches.

patio.   8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "