Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer not working  (Read 3224 times)

A6ETrammn

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer not working
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
For some reason windows explorer and internet explorer only work in one of my user accounts.  When I try to explore a folder, the taskbar disappears for a couple of seconds, there is an hourglass symbol during that time, then the taskbar comes back but the explorer window doesn't open.

I made sure rkadmin.dll is not in the system32 folder.  I have run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Trojan Hunter, CWS Shedder, with no luck.  Originally even the user account that works, I would lose use of windows explorer and Internet explorer after 40 minutes or so.  I ran sfc /scannow and that seemed to fix the problem with one account.  But when I tried to do that logged onto only one of the other accounts (the one that worked was not logged on) it didn't fix the problem.

All of the accounts are administrator accounts.  I tried creating a new account, but that had the same problem.

Hope this makes sense.  Bottom line I can only access windows explorer, Internet Explorer and file search in one user account.

Using Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 12:31:27 PM by A6ETrammn »

pcdoc4christ

Re: Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer not wor
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:51:02 PM »
If you have your Windows XP CD, you can reinstall the OS:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/

A6ETrammn

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »
Didn't work.  I repaired windows and the problem still exists.

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:30:18 PM »
    I. What are your system specifications?

II. Please try the following as a quick test:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete.
    3. Scroll through the list of processes and look for "iexplore.exe".
    4. Report on what you find/do not find.
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

A6ETrammn

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 06:34:20 PM »
    ASUS A7V333 Ver.1 MB
    AMD Athlon XP 1700+
    768 MB PC2700 Ram
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    ATI Rage 128 Graphics Card

When I click on the Internet Explorer Icon there is a redraw of the desktop(barely perceptible) an hourglass for a second then nothing.  IExplore.exe is not in the process list of the Task Manager.

Thanks
    « Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 06:37:48 PM by A6ETrammn »

ricky1me

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »
     Did you restore the entire o/s? What do you mean by repair? If the repair doesn't work you shold restore the o/s.

A6ETrammn

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:07:44 AM »
    Unfortunately the only system restore points I had were after the problem started.

I repaired the o/s using the installlation disk, when the prompt asked to use the recovery console I chose the option to install windows.  Then the installation searched for an existing windows installation and then repaired that windows o/s.

I did find that booting into Safe Mode, all user accounts act normally.  I can use the file search, explore folders, and open internet explorer.  Not sure if that helps.

Thanks.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 04:33:30 PM »
      When I click on the Internet Explorer Icon there is a redraw of the desktop(barely perceptible) an hourglass for a second then nothing.
      This sort of activity rings alarm bells for me.

I have run Spybot, Ad-Aware, Ewido, Trojan Hunter, CWS Shedder, with no luck.
      Have you scanned for viruses?

A6ETrammn

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:56:23 PM »
      Yes,

I run Norton Anti Virus, updated weekly and run weekly.  I also have it set up for system realtime protection.