Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer will not turn on  (Read 4701 times)

pdh6d9

My computer will not turn on
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:33:08 PM »
I have a HP Pavilion a705w.  It has 512 mb ram, 40g hd, pentium celeron 2.0 ghz.  

I tried connecting my laptop (new Acer Aspire) via USB.  A bubble came up that said usb power surge.  The computer locked up so i turned it off via the button on front of tower (ctrl alt del did not work).

Now when I turn it on nothing comes on the monitor.  The fan comes on and the blue light on the power button comes on.  The lights on the keyboard do not come on and nothing on the screen.  

I tried unconnecting everything except the power supply and the monitor and still nothing came on.

This is a seperate and now far less important question but how do i connect my laptop to desktop?  I need to transfer about 20 gigs and i do not wish to try the usb again.

If anyone has suggestion I would greatly appreciate them.

Track

Apprentice

Re: My computer will not turn on
    « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:01:09 PM »
    Alright, alright.. this happened to me once before.. although it wasnt exactly the same situation.

Im not 100% sure why this happens, but sometimes plugging a device into the USB can cause it to completely lock up (freeze), after wich u can only close it via the reset button on the front, or in extreme cases the power cable on the back.

Now, when this happened to me the first time, i thought it was something faulty with Windows so i have it installed again. However the problem came back, somehow the PC would totally freeze every time i plugged in that device.
    The only thing that does not overlap, is that u say ur PC does not turn on. Mine turned on but then froze again after only a little while.
    You say that ur PC DOES turn on, but the monitor dosent display anything. Does this mean that the monitor displays the "no signal" colorful hovering box, or is the monitor competely turned off and not even displaying the orange light next to it's power button. As in, is there no difference beetween when its ON or OFF?

The PC working but the monitor staying blank (ON, as in the light near the power button is working.. but u DONT get the "no signal" box, as in its just black and nothing else) means that there is probably something wrong with ur graphics card. If there IS "no signal" then its probably not ur graphics card but some bigger problem.

Can u answer my questions, and also get another monitor to test with this PC in order to see wich one is fualty?

If ur Desktop PC freezes when u plug the Laptop to it via a USB connection, ur only way to connect them is by a installing a Local Network and transfering the files using ur Internet connection.
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

pdh6d9

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:37:09 PM »
    I often have the cpu off and the monitor on.  I have never seen the no signal box.  

The yellow light on the monitor is on.

I do not have another monitor acessable to me.

The lights on the keyboard are not coming on, so i do not think it is a graphic problem.

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:22:22 AM »
      I often have the cpu off and the monitor on.  I have never seen the no signal box.  

The yellow light on the monitor is on.

I do not have another monitor acessable to me.

The lights on the keyboard are not coming on, so i do not think it is a graphic problem.

What do u mean u keep the CPU off?

The lights on the keyboard only light up once u enter the Windows loading screen, not at the beggening.
      So the PC IS working but the monitor isnt.
      Now, the monitor is ON, meaning it has power but its acting like its not connected to the PC?
      When u turn the PC on, is there any change to the monitor? Does the light go from yellow to green, but still stay blank? Because i know that the monitor is sensing the PC (no "no signal" box).
      This is odd, when u turn the PC on, the monitor just stays blank? Nothing? Not even the BIOS screen that comes before Windows?

Your going to have to get another monitor, or a cable that u can attach to ur graphics card (if ur graphics card has a TV-out) and then to a TV. However im not sure if u can have a TV screen as the primary monitor, as in u would need a monitor in order to switch to the TV screen, so getting another monitor would be best.
      Can u use another PC on that monitor, can u use the Laptop in any way?
      « Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:23:09 AM by Track »
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:38:31 AM »
      I have a HP Pavilion a705w.  It has 512 mb ram, 40g hd, pentium celeron 2.0 ghz.  

[highlight]I tried connecting my laptop (new Acer Aspire) via USB.  [/highlight]A bubble came up that said usb power surge.  The computer locked up so i turned it off via the button on front of tower (ctrl alt del did not work).

Now when I turn it on nothing comes on the monitor.  The fan comes on and the blue light on the power button comes on.  The lights on the keyboard do not come on and nothing on the screen.  

I tried unconnecting everything except the power supply and the monitor and still nothing came on.

This is a seperate and now far less important question but how do i connect my laptop to desktop?  I need to transfer about 20 gigs and i do not wish to try the usb again.

If anyone has suggestion I would greatly appreciate them.

Tell us about this. What were you trying to do?

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 09:10:49 AM »
      Seems your main concern is recovering the 20Gigs
       or am I backwards?

Who died the laptop or the desktop?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000649.htm
      « Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:15:05 AM by street1 »
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.