Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Computer Dies, PSU?  (Read 2639 times)

Rallymonkey

New Computer Dies, PSU?
« on: August 27, 2006, 02:12:50 AM »
I just put together a new computer:
Apevia x-cruiser case
Apevia 520 watt power supply
Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 board
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU
ATI (Sapphire) X800GTO GPU
2 * 512 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 RAM
Western Digital SATA 3.0 HDD
The system sporadically powers down, seems to happen more often when running games, but will also happen on startup or randomly overnight.  Does this sound like a bad power supply?  Or did I just do something wrong?
Thanks

Track

Apprentice

Re: New Computer Dies, PSU?
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:50:30 AM »
    Your PSU has enough power, what is ur voltage on the 12 rail? Slim chances that its ur PSU in terms of it not being powerfull enough, especially if its new.
    It could however be faulty, if ur experiencing random shut downs, especially when using much power (playing games), then it makes sence for it to be ur PSU, and since there is little chance its not good enough, it makes sence that its broken of faulty and in wich case u should return it and get a new one.

Im sure u did some research before buying each part for ur PC, and since i dont know much abt PSU brands ill assume that its a good one and that the PSU isnt acting up because its cheap, even though a cheap PSU should still take a while to brake down.

Any part of u PC however could be triggering this, but if a component such as the CPU, RAM or graphics card would be having a hard time (because of a fan dying out for instence), then u would see a more violent power down, and u would probably smell smoke.
    You will have to check to know for sure however if ur parts are doing OK. Download a program called Everest and evaluate ur PC. Google it.

Last but not least, and it would make more sence then a PC hardware component malfunctioning (because we are talking of an instant power down), Windows could be the culprit.
    If u have a virus for instence, this could very much happen just like u have described.
    However, it would not make much sence having a virus so early on, and of course u say that it happens more when the system is being used, like in a game wich dosent overlap in this case.

Try Everest and check for temperatures. But i would suggest to take the PSU back as soon as possible because every power down damages ur new hardware!
    That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Rallymonkey

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 04:03:29 AM »
    thx for reply
    12 rail is ~ 12.7V
    unless i misunterstand the question, i'm not as geek as i'd like to be.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:37:02 AM »
    A cheap case with an included cheap PSU is never a bargain. What kind of ventilation is in there? Here is some general info about shutdowns:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1144733358

Rallymonkey

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:42 PM »
    I have everything updated as per your advice.  Was running windiag RAM tester and no errors for about 4 hours then power off.  Power shuts off with a game (tried civ4 and oblivion) running generally in less than 15 minutes and powers down rarely while booting (maybe 1 in 15 times) but I can use the internet or watch videos for hours with no problems.  There's no noises, errors or smoke, just shuts down and can be powered back on immediately.  Does this narrow down the problem any?  Should I just start RMAing parts?  If so, what should I start with?
    Thanks

EDIT:
    Everest shows cpu temp range normally around 30C with core temps from 30-45C depending on load.
    Vid card goes up to around 80C under load.
    2 80mm case fans with vent over cpu.
    « Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 10:08:36 PM by Rallymonkey »

Track

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:43:38 PM »
      Start with?

The PSU. Thats what i said from the beggining.

Also, better get a fan for ur graphics card. It may be low-end but if it gets to 80C, ur going to need a new one. You can get the best fan that i know of for 30$.. so it should be cheap.
      That's Right, I am a Graphics Card Expert!

Rallymonkey

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
      thanks a ton, i'll get right on it

Rallymonkey

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
      Switched out to known working psu, same problem.  Considering it crashes quickly while gaming but still crashes running the ramcheck in dos, is it more likely to be the mobo or the gpu?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 11:59:23 AM »
      If it crashes running Memtest i think you have isolated at least one problem...

patio.   8-)
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Frankie

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 10:45:17 PM »
        Try just using one stick of Ram to test for faults. Check the the heatsink is mounted on the CPU correctly and that all fans are running inside the computer. Completely Uninstall the video card and reinstall it. If you have XP Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart. Now if you get the problem and the computer doesnt restart and just lets say kicks you to desktop, right click on my computer, click on manage, Event viewer and then on system. This may now give you and error telling you what caused the crash.