Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unmountable boot volume  (Read 5902 times)

S.B.R

unmountable boot volume
« on: September 13, 2004, 07:20:48 AM »
HELP Please HELP! I have a Compaq computer.  It's about 3 years old I use windows XP. When I turn it on there is a screen that comes on with "Compaq" posted across it.  That screen now comes up all distorted and then instead of going to my home page a blue screen comes up and says "unmountable boot volume" is the problem.  I can't get past this sceen. I had a friend of a friend look at it about 2 months ago he claimed the problem was in the monitor and I should replace it.
Does anyone know anything about this stuff? Please help ifyou can.

Mac

Re: unmountable boot volume
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:11:09 AM »
When booting up to Win XP you may get a error that reads "Unmountable Boot Volume". This is probably because your boot.ini file is messed up.

So, what do you do about it, panic and try to mount your boot in your computer...... No that is probably not a good idea.

You can boot to the XP CD and when you see the "Welcome to Setup" message press the letter R
You will get a DOS prompt.

Then type: chkdsk  /p , and hit Enter

When that is done type: fixboot , and hit Enter

Type: Y , and Enter at the prompt.

Then type: exit , and hit Enter.

The system should now reboot into Windows.    

If for some reason that does not work for you, you can boot to the Recovery Console as above and...

Type: chkdsk  /r , then Enter.

When done type: exit , and press Enter.

This will take longer, but the system should boot back into Windows.

Someone asked about systems without an XP CD , like Compaq and HP.  If you have a XP system and don't have an XP CD please download the Windows XP boot disk from the correct link below and use it instead of the XP CD, choosing the correct set for either XP Home or XP Professional.

NOTE: *** The Win XP boot disk takes 6 floppy disks. ***