Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: spyware guide for new users  (Read 139350 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    spyware guide for new users
    « on: August 31, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »
    ok i found this spyware guide froom Pc-cilin internet sercurity 12. I hope this can help the noobs out there..

;D ;D ;D :o 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) ::) ::) ::) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Understanding spyware and additional Internet threats
    Many Internet threats are not viruses or other inherently malicious code. Rather, they are applications which compromise your privacy, allow hackers to take control of your computer without your knowledge, or annoy you. They are frequently unknowingly downloaded along with desired applications. The term "spyware" is frequently used to refer to any software that is installed without the user's full knowledge and permission, but this category of threats actually includes several other types of applications as well. In addition to spyware, there is adware, dialers, joke programs, hack tools, remote access tools, password cracking applications, and other uncategorized software.

Spyware is software that monitors a user's computing habits and personal information, and sends this information to third parties without the user's authorization or knowledge. This includes software that monitors the Web sites the user visits, records keystrokes, or takes a "snapshot" of the user's screen at intervals.

Adware, or advertising-supported software, is software that displays advertising while the program is running. Adware often functions similarly to spyware, to allow the program to determine which advertisements to display based on the current user's preference. In order to be classified as adware, and not spyware, the user must give consent to the software's installation. Some advertising-supported programs provide the user with information about how they operate, and often give the user the choice of purchasing an adware-free version. In other cases, the information about the software is frequently hidden inside the user agreement, and the user has no knowledge of what they are really consenting to.

Dialers are Trojans that, upon execution, connect the system to a pay-per-call location in which the unsuspecting user is billed for the call without his or her knowledge. Dialers often arrive in enticing service-related applications.

Joke programs are ordinary executable programs. They are added to the detection list because they are found to be potentially annoying or offensive, or because they could cause users undue worry. Joke programs cannot spread unless someone deliberately distributes them.

Hack tools are applications used by malicious programmers, known as crackers, to gain unauthorized access to other computers.

Remote access tools allow the cracker to execute functions on a computer without the user's knowledge.

Password cracking applications are used to modify software applications to make them function as if they were legally licensed copies, or to generate activation keys or serial numbers to achieve the same purpose.

Others refers to any potentially undesirable software which does not fall into any of the above categories, such as applications that redirect your browser homepage or search site to a different location.

This guide will help you identify spyware and additional Internet threats, and show you how to configure Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security to help guard against them.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:25:40 AM by Computer Hope Admin »

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

Re: spyware guide for noobs
      « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 12:53:10 PM »
      PART 2

_______________________________________ _____________________

How does spyware get on my computer?
      Spyware and additional Internet threats can infect your computer by various means. The most common ways to distribute spyware are:

It comes bundled with freeware programs, or with new operating system or service components. Peer-to-peer file-sharing programs such as Kazaa and Grokster are well known sources of adware, as are many search bars for Internet Explorer.

It uses Internet Explorer's ActiveX installation option. This is used by legitimate Web sites like Windows Update to install software without requiring that an installer be downloaded. However, it can also be used to install other, less desirable software. If an ActiveX control is used, a screen will display a message asking if you want to download the component. There is no guaranty the information on the screen is correct. Clicking Yes allows the software to run, and carry out any functions it has been designed to perform.

It exploits unpatched security vulnerabilities in Windows or Internet Explorer. These are methods of getting the operating system or browser to perform in unexpected ways or bypass security measures. One popular technique is to allow ActiveX controls to be downloaded without requiring the user to click to confirm the download first.

PART 3
      _______________________________________ _____________

Guarding against spyware
      There are many steps you can take to prevent spyware and additional Internet threats from ever getting installed on your computer.

Keep your operating system updated with the latest patches from Microsoft. From the PC-cillin Internet Security main screen, go to System > Security Check to verify your system is up-to-date, and download any required patches.

Read the End User License Agreement (EULA) when you install any software. Look for any clauses related to information gathering or sending, or the installation of additional software.

When installing software, be very careful about installing any additional software that is included with the software you received. Read the included documentation, such as the Readme file, for information about the extra software to verify it does not contain spyware or other threats.

Do not click Yes to any message asking if you want to download and install software unless you are certain both the creator of the software and the Web site you are viewing are trustworthy.

Never respond to unsolicited commercial email (spam) or pop-up ads, especially if they ask you to click a button.

Increase the security level for Internet Explorer (IE) for the Internet Zone. To do this, on the IE menu bar, go to Tools > Internet Options > Security and move the slider to High. If this causes problems with Web sites you want to visit, set the level to Medium for Trusted Sites, click Sites..., and add the sites you want to visit.

Use an Internet browser other than Internet Explorer. Due to the close coupling of IE with Windows, and the fact that many malicious hackers exploit functions in this browser, using a different browser can reduce the chance of infection by Internet threats.

Use PC-cillin Internet Security to scan for spyware and additional Internet threats as they are downloaded.

PART 4

_______________________________________ _____________________

Determining if a program should be deleted
      Some programs Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security identifies during a real-time or manual Spyware Scan may not be malicious, or they may be required for other software to operate. Before removing a program you are uncertain about, select the item and click More Information... to visit the Trend Micro Virus Encyclopedia. There are multiple reasons why you may not want to delete a potential threat:

The software is desired. Unlike viruses, the behavior of some spyware programs and other potential Internet threats is not inherently malicious. Therefore, some legitimate software may be identified as a threat due to the way it works. Some common examples are the Yahoo and Google toolbars.

The software is necessary for another program to function. Removal of some adware programs may cause the applications they were downloaded with to cease functioning. This is a legitimate use of adware, and it cannot be deleted if you wish to continue using the associated program.

It may be illegal to remove the program. The license agreement for some freeware programs requires that the associated adware must remain installed. This requirement is documented in the program's EULA.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »
      Good stuff there, unlovedwarrior.  I nominate this one for "sticky" placement.  

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:15:53 PM »

Might also be nice to add it to the FAQ section eh?
      Back In The Game

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
        « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:55:12 PM »
        I dunno... QA threads are usually drafted by the author, instead of a Copy-Paste. ;)

Since, however, this thread is stickied, I'll post a link to two immortal threads:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1143816298
        "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

lil_falco

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
        Kinda sad that noone has reccomended him to download
         Ad-aware Se personal or registry mechanic to remove it from the registry.
         I would also reccomend getting Avast home edition, its a virus scanner and a real time virus protection
         all in one for free. It works excellent and has stopped a few serious viruses from hitting my computer.

All of the programs are FREE, registry mechanic will only repair 200 problems until you must purchase it.
        Up to you if you want to or not, its a great program to keep your computer from getting bogged down.

Also try opening internet explorer. Go to Tools - Internet Options,
         then clear your history and all content. Be sure to check the box to delete all offline content too.

Ad-Aware SE - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
        Registry Mechanic - http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/
        Avast Home Edition - http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Hope I helped!  8-)
        « Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:35:52 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 10:08:33 AM »
          lol it is free for me my company gave it to me, so... but i will try an experiment. ill wait for a week then run the scan, then uninstall pc-cilin and install avast.

NNEagle

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 10:19:46 AM »

Thank you for the education.Guess there are so many things that one must learn to stay safe.
            Eagle

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 10:22:32 AM »
              i also have a powerpoint in this section called safe computing powerpoint you might check that out.