Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP takes at least 50% of your RAM?  (Read 1830 times)

Oober_Noober

Win XP takes at least 50% of your RAM?
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:36:11 PM »
I recently heard a claim about Windows that was a bit difficult to believe. An old-time Network Admin told me that Windows XP sequesters at least 50% of your available RAM while it is operating. So, in other words, If you have 512MB of RAM, at least 256 is taken as reserve for Windows. 1GB of available RAM would equate to 512MB claimed by Windows. 2GB eaten up if you had a total of 4GB installed, etc. etc.. This phenomena wasn't explained as being leaky or unreleased memory. Just that Windows plain and simple grabs no less than 50% of your physical RAM period. Has anyone come across reputable claims of this nature anywhere? For that matter, has anyone come accross dubious claims of this nature? I'd appreciate any leads. Even though my information comes from a reputable source and I'm certainly no fan of Windows, I’m not buying this one yet.

--Oober Noober
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:36:25 PM by Oober_Noober »

Maksim

Hopeful
    Re: Win XP takes at least 50% of your RAM?
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:25:22 PM »
    Ok that guy or who ever told you this is he is not right i never had the problem

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:14:13 AM »
      my preformance monitor said that i used 10% of my 1gig of RAM when i first installed windowsXP pro.(without anything else running except windows essential tasks).

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 08:49:42 AM »
      I'm not buying that one, either.  Here's some info on Performance fields overview pertaining to Windows Task Manager.
      « Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 08:50:31 AM by soybean »