Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer won't turn on  (Read 2119 times)

Dale42

Computer won't turn on
« on: September 09, 2006, 12:47:35 PM »
Hey everyone,
I have owned my computer for about two and a half years now, well three months ago it died so i had the motherbored replaced and i finally recived it.  Well i hooked everything up like its suppose to be, turned on the computer and it booted up just fine.  I started pulling some files of it onto my ipod so i could get it off.  Well about half an hour to an hour and it shut off.  So iwas like ok, maybe it over heated.  I did my best to check the fans, i even touched the heat sink to see if it was to hot and it wasn't bad.  I took off the other side of the case and put a fan into.  Well i waited about fiftieen minutes and i tryed to turn it back on but nothing happened.  Now could of the CPU burned up, i thought that it was programmed to shut itself off before it did that.  I have checked the video card, sound card, the power supply, the only thing i havn't checked is the motherbored its self.  I have taken the motherbored out of the case to make sure that it wasn't getting grounded but its not.  Any suggestions please thank you.  Im going to let it sit for a day to see if anything changes

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Computer won't turn on
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »
...well three months ago it died so i had the motherbored replaced and i finally recived it.  
Who replaced the motherboard?  

Dale42

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 01:29:43 PM »
The motherbored is manufactured by Gigabyte so i sent it to them.  They sent back a referbished one/brandnew im not sure but my guess is referbished.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:45:46 PM »
Is processor AMD or Intel?  You installed the heatsink and CPU fan yourself?  

Dale42

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 03:16:23 PM »
Intel Penitum 4, Yes i did made sure that the paste covered the black area of the heatsink along with the fan.  The fan came with the processeor so its not like i miss matched anything.  

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
Intel chips have thermal protection to keep them from frying if the CPU'S fan fails. They simply turn off. You can overclock them to death, but that'sanother issue.