Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAID-5 volume repair (failed disk member)  (Read 3050 times)

vachon

RAID-5 volume repair (failed disk member)
« on: September 16, 2006, 11:26:40 AM »
I am running several web servers with Windows Advanced Server 2000.  All are set up with 5 or more SCA SCSI disks in a RAID-5 array.  When setting them up a couple of years ago, I purchased disks in lots so I would have replacements.  A disk has finally failed, and I backed up the data, shut down the server, and replaced the disk.  Upon restart, I wrote the signature and marked the disk as dynamic.  However, when it's time to repair the volume, the "repair" option is not visible.  "Regenerate parity" does nothing, of course.  I've tried a few other identical disks, hoping that it's not just that the first new ones had a little less space than the one that failed.  The disks are all from the same lot, and I purchased them for just such a situation as this.  If I must always regerate the volume and restore from backup, then the only advantage to the W2K software RAID-5 seems to be that the unit stays up until I can take it offline and rebuild the thing.  I also tried DISKPART, but the "repair" command listed on the MS support site is not available in the version I obtained.

It's been awhile since my limited training, but am I doing something stupid or just not getting it?  Following the written procedures doesn't seem to be working.  Is hardware RAID the only real solution to repair without a complete volume rebuild?

Would an obviously larger disk be a worthy try?  The steps are pretty large in the SCSI world, so I'll waste some disk space, but if it would work, I'd be happy to do it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: RAID-5 volume repair (failed disk member)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 01:39:39 PM »
I don't think the issue is size here.  You are not seeing any error messages, are you?  What software are you using for the array?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

vachon

Re: RAID-5 volume repair (failed disk member)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 03:12:22 PM »
The volume is just a fault-tolerant W2K Advanced Server striped/parity set.  The volume operates fine and the other disks show as online with failed redundancy in the disk manager console.  The new disk shows as online and with the same available size as the other volume members had before being added to the volume.

I know I did this a couple of years ago and as soon as the new disk was signatured and recognized as dynamic, the volume repaired with no further problems (same lot of disks).  

No error messages other than the failed redundancy.  Thanks for your help.