Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installation setup cannot read files.  (Read 2847 times)

terrispuffy

Installation setup cannot read files.
« on: September 25, 2006, 02:49:05 PM »
I am having an installation issue with windows XP hom edition

I am trying to do a clean install on my laptop, I boot from the OS Cd ROM, and let the setup information load, then I accept the terms of the EULA by pressing F8,

but when the system trys to install XP about 1 or 2% into the load, I get a message that says that setup cannot read "filename"

I am using a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a 100 GB HD and a DVD RW/CDRW

I have done hardware diagnostics and both pass.

My CD is clean and without scratches or dirt.

The filenames that have appeared so far include but are not limited to: ftdisk.sys
                                                                                                     cdaudio.sys
                                                                                                     shruti.ttf
                                                                                                     couri.ttf
                                                                                                     palab.ttf
                                                                                                     cinemst2.sys
                                                                                                     cpqdap01.sys
is there a way to boot from a usb device? I saved a copy of my boot cdrom on a partition of my western digital 500 gb MYBOOK external usb  hard drive.

Raptor

Re: Installation setup cannot read files.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »
Verify that the following hardware is intact by using diagnostic software or inspecting it with the bare eye

• RAM
  • HDD
  • Windows XP installation CD-ROM
  • DVD/CD-ROM reader/writer

terrispuffy

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 03:07:45 PM »
It is all intact and has all passed diagnostic tests.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 03:13:55 PM »
What have you used to verify the integrity of your RAM/HDD?

Could the laptop be overheating? Are all fans functioning?

Is it an original Windows XP CD?

terrispuffy

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »
I am currently running chkdsk /r in the recovery console just incase there is something the diagnostic tool missed.

terrispuffy

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »
it's cool as a cucumber fans are opeating fine, the room is 70 degrees , and I have used the diagnostic utility included on the original certified microsoft xp recovery cd rom.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 02:57:43 AM »
Like I said in my private message, use other diagnostic tools.

terrispuffy

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:36 AM »
Ok, I have used Check it Diagnostics that was included with Norton...still says all the hardware is hummin like it should...all tests pass. still every time I try to load the OS i get stuck at "setup cannot read "ftdisk.sys"" I am begining to get frustrated.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »
Did you also test the RAM with the utility I linked you to?

I never said to use Norton, I said use the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic software.

terrispuffy

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »
Um I thought you said "use OTHER diagnostic tools", and I was just saying I did use other diadnostic tools, now I have used both your link...the RAM seems fine, and I downloaded a utility from Dell that is supposed to be from the HDD manufacturer. No Dice, Everything checks OK from a TESTING standpoint, the only test failed is the one where I try to load windows. Now I feel compelled to find a solution, I have too much time invested to back off now.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 02:36:31 AM »
Have you got an external CD/DVD-ROM drive that you can use? You could easily build yourself one if you had a conversion kit and an existing IDE 5.25" CD-/DVDROM drive.

terrispuffy

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 07:23:13 AM »
I have an external CD  RW Drive, but it is usb2, and my laptop won't boot from a USB connection I have tried to boot off my Western Digital external HDD that has a copy of my Microsoft XP OS CD Rom on it. Booting from USB isnt an option unless someone knows a workaround. As far as fabricationg a NON USB external cd  drive, I dont have the tools, equipment ,supplies, technical savy, or desire to build one. I suppose if all I am needing to do is read off a drive to instal my OS, I can pick up just a good ol' fashioned CD ROM 'read only' new drive for little of nothing that would fit the port on my Inspiron, and try booting from that. That way if my DVD CD Drive IS FUBAR, I will know, I will be able to load XP and then shell out the Clams to replace the DVD RW. Does that sound viable ?

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:40:13 AM »
It's a guessing game, but if you're certain all the other hardware is intact.. Perhaps you can borrow one from someone?

terrispuffy

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 10:39:59 AM »
I will give it a shot, likely to be a couple days before I get a chance to try though, I am back on duty tonight for the next 5 days. will let you know when I have another day off to work on this.