Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My Hard Drive died.  (Read 2537 times)

motivazn

My Hard Drive died.
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:25:12 PM »
 Yes this is horrible. I dropped my hard drive onto the floor and made a big thud. This hard drive however was a slave so only stuff like videos, games, music, pictures would be lost.

Heres the problem now. When i plug the power to the hard drive it makes an un usualy reading sound. Like a broken radio signal (screeeeeeetch). My BIOS doesn't see any hard drive, neither does my device manager and disk manager. I know its obviously broken but is there and hope i can fix it? Its a 250 gig maxtor and it's fairly new.

Any help is welcomed. Please =]

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My Hard Drive died.
    « Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:43:15 PM »
    You could use it as a fridge magnet.
    Even if you ever got it to work again by getting it repaired or dropping it again on the other side, would you ever be able to trust it?

motivazn

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »
     Seriously I would use it again. What have I got to loose? Anyways I was actually thinking of dropping it the other way but I diddn't because that only works for some things.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:57:25 PM »
      You won't be able to fix it yourself and I think it would be cheaper to buy a new HD than get the old one repaired if at all possible.

motivazn

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 10:15:49 PM »
      I guess so. Thanks for the info it's just that I had some valuable information on that hard drive. =[

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 10:40:52 PM »
        using damaged equipment is never a good idea. what if it starts a fire? you will lose more than just some binary code.
        « Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 10:41:37 PM by homer »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 11:46:27 PM »
        Data recovery is always an option if your data is valueble enough. Phone a few companies and ask for prices.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 03:52:59 AM »
        But it's very expen$ive.

THis makes a good case (again) that anything important needs to be backed up to something OTHER than a hard drive. They all die eventually.