Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Do You Turn Back On The Internet in XP ?  (Read 2118 times)

jimmymac

How Do You Turn Back On The Internet in XP ?
« on: October 03, 2006, 08:42:52 PM »
Hi and thankyou for your help.

A sonly Vaio laptop with Windows XP.

Now unable to connect to the internet.  

It was connecting fine for months  
(Internet connection works fine tested with an other computer. LAN high speed cable)

A few months ago it did the same thing in my home.  At that time I looked around and found out a "switch" wasn't checked and checked it and it worked fine until now.

But... the laptop is thousands of miles away and I don't know what to tell my son on how to fix it.  I don't remember how it's done, too turn the switch so the internet will work again.

What do I tell my son miles away how to fix the computer so he may connect to the internet again?  

Thank you.

Jimmymac

Raptor

Re: How Do You Turn Back On The Internet in XP ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:34:31 PM »
"Switch"?

jimmymac

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 07:00:58 AM »
Yes... switch for lack of the correct word.

It was a check box when I first was able to get the internet to work again.  You know one of those white box's and you click on it and it puts in a check mark.  Thats what I call a switch.    Hope this helps makes it easy to understand now.  Thanks.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 10:09:58 AM »
    So...hardwired it works fine, right?  Then I'm assuming that he's trying to connect thru a wireless connection?   :-?

I know that on HP laptops there is a "switch" but it is a physical one on the laptop that you must enable for it to have wireless capabilities.  

It must be in the software that is used for the wireless connection.  What does he use to connect?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »
    Yes... switch for lack of the correct word.

It was a check box when I first was able to get the internet to work again.  You know one of those white box's and you click on it and it puts in a check mark.  Thats what I call a switch.    Hope this helps makes it easy to understand now.  Thanks.

You do realise there are about a 100 checkboxes in Windows, right?

You're going to have to be more specific or tell us what type of network you have and how it is currently configured before we can help.

jimmymac

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
    How I got it fixed last time was to going into mycomputer  file ( I think) - then  clicking until it was something like a list of items like if you want java on or off.  I'm using old computers and ME so I'm not up to date with the new set ups.  It was  simple... if only can remember.  It could even say Lan or .... and give box to check.

Maybe my question is where is this file that shows this list of box's to check to turn off or on.

No special software for internet connection - as whats on XP.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
    I think I know what you did.

Go to IE -> Tools -> Internet Options -> Connection tab -> "Dial whenever a network connection is not present"

Is that what you were looking for?