Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: limited or no connectivity  (Read 3193 times)

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
    limited or no connectivity
    « on: October 04, 2006, 06:13:33 PM »
    ok for some reason grandma keeps screwing up every day when "wink wink" the computer on the internet wont work but every time i turn it on before she does it works just fine.. so how can i correct this problem

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: limited or no connectivity
    « Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
    My suggestion is to patiently ask lots of questions about what she did before the problem occurs.  Also, if you can, sit with her for awhile, ask her to do again what she did the last time the problem happened, and observe what she does.  By doing this, you might uncover the underlying problem.

Keep in mind that she doesn't process the details of using a computer as fast as younger computer users.  This is due, to some extent, simply because she was not exposed to computers until much later in life than younger people.

My mother is a senior citizen.  I'm not bragging but I truly do a better job of helping her with computer questions than some of the younger members of the family because I go at slower pace when explaining things to her.  For example, one of my nephews (one of her grandchildren) might show her how to do something but he goes through it so fast that she simply does not retain anything he showed her.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 09:29:32 PM »
      Well said ...... soybean

dl65  ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

unlovedwarrior

Topic Starter

Guru

• someday this name will be known
        « Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 09:37:28 PM »
        My suggestion is to patiently ask lots of questions about what she did before the problem occurs.  Also, if you can, sit with her for awhile, ask her to do again what she did the last time the problem happened, and observe what she does.  By doing this, you might uncover the underlying problem.

Keep in mind that she doesn't process the details of using a computer as fast as younger computer users.  This is due, to some extent, simply because she was not exposed to computers until much later in life than younger people.

My mother is a senior citizen.  I'm not bragging but I truly do a better job of helping her with computer questions than some of the younger members of the family because I go at slower pace when explaining things to her.  For example, one of my nephews (one of her grandchildren) might show her how to do something but he goes through it so fast that she simply does not retain anything he showed her.  

soybean i did ask her what she did and she keeps saying all she does is turn the computer on. but ill have her go though what she does for me sometime and report back here
        « Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:15:37 AM by unlovedwarrior »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 11:41:39 PM »
        Just observe her and ask when it goes wrong.