Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MS Word - Grouped TXT boxes don't print  (Read 3392 times)

rjwebgraphix

MS Word - Grouped TXT boxes don't print
« on: October 04, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »
Using MS Word 2000.  If I group 2 or more text boxes together, the contents of those text boxes do not print.  This happens if I group the text box with an image also.  Particular image in question is in WMF format when inserted.

One of the text boxes is a black fill with white lettering.  It prints all black when grouped with another text box that is no fill with black lettering.

Actual document I am working with is one of the default templates accessible via....

File - New - Publications - Brochure

On top page far right column, I deleted the default image and text.  Added 2 images (Company logo and another clipart image)  Two Text boxes as described above.  One (black fill) simply has phone number in it sized at 20pt, the other (no fill) has the web address.  The one with the web address slightly overlaps on top of the one with the phone number.  The text doesn't overlap, just the lower tip of the box for formating purposes.

Again, when I group these two boxes or I group them with the images above them, it will not print the text, just the images.

When doing a print preview, it shows the text like it should print it just fine.  

Any help in solving this issue is appreciated.

rjwebgraphix

Re: MS Word - Grouped TXT boxes don't print
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 06:38:49 PM »
One minor correction.

The black box didn't print the text, but the no fill box did print.

On another part though, a no fill box grouped with an image doesn't print.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:17:23 AM »
Are you using a laser printer by any chance?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

rjwebgraphix

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 09:29:47 AM »
Are you using a laser printer by any chance?

Yes, HP Laserjet IV using the Laserjet III drivers, I haven't tried with the laserjet IV drivers, they cause issues when printing anything that is even just a little complex.  That has something to do with WinXP sending the full document to the printer all in one shot and the printer doesn't have enough memory to handle it.  When we ran the printer off a Win2K machine, Win2K gave the printer only what it could handle and kept the rest in the spool until there was free memory and then sent the rest of the data.

Not sure why WinXP does that on the Laserjet IV drivers, but it doesn't do that on the laserjet III drivers.

Still trying to figure out why it would matter when print preview shows it just fine.

rjwebgraphix

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
Update:

I've tried it on a HP Deskjet cheapy printer and it doesn't matter if it's laser or inkjet.  Same problem both ways.

I've fixed one....

Found out I did have a fill on one section section I thought I didn't.  I guess it defaults to white fill instead of no fill.  

If there is truely NO FILL, everything works hunky dory.  If there is any fill, once I group a text box with anything else, it doesn't print what is in the text box.  Although it does show correctly in print preview.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RJ

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 04:37:56 AM »
If you wouldn't mind emailing the file to me, I can see how it prints out for me.

Possibly the MS drawing/print rendering system is corrupted in some way?  Have you tried a repair installation of Word?

rjwebgraphix

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:27:53 AM »
If you wouldn't mind emailing the file to me, I can see how it prints out for me.

Possibly the MS drawing/print rendering system is corrupted in some way?  Have you tried a repair installation of Word?

Sent private message giving link to file...

Posting other information here for benefit of others.

I didn't see a need to do a repair since it does the same thing on all 7 computers and 4 different printers.  2 printers being the same Laserjet IV, one being an Inkjet, also HP, and the last a photo printer.  All doing the same thing.   Hmmm. (scratching head) I wounder if it could be an HP thing.  All the printers here are HP.  I wouldn't think so, but hey, ya never know.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 08:45:49 AM »
Okay.

I don't have an HP to test here, but like you, I think it's unlikely to be the culprit.  More likely is that you may have hit a Word 2000 bug.  I printed the page in question on a Brother laser printer, from Word 2003, and it printed correctly.  I don't have a 2000 installation to test this with.

You could always just leave the boxes ungrouped, annoying though it may be that the problem can't be fixed.

rjwebgraphix

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 11:17:39 AM »
Okay.

I don't have an HP to test here, but like you, I think it's unlikely to be the culprit.  More likely is that you may have hit a Word 2000 bug.  I printed the page in question on a Brother laser printer, from Word 2003, and it printed correctly.  I don't have a 2000 installation to test this with.

You could always just leave the boxes ungrouped, annoying though it may be that the problem can't be fixed.

Thats what I figured, just looking for clarification.  Right now just grouping to move as a group then ungroup them again when in place.  UGH!

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
You could just hold down shift and use the select tool to select both boxes at once...?

Incidentally, have you installed all the Word 2000 service packs?