Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good Backup Software (Cheap?)  (Read 5564 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Good Backup Software (Cheap?)
« on: October 05, 2006, 12:10:22 PM »
Hey, I need something SIMPLE.

Well, not too simple, but reading through the archives here, I keep reading about ghosting and partitioning and blahblah.

Here's my setup:

Two computers, connected via wireless router. The "network" as it is is simply a shared workgroup in XP SP2.

I have one machine set up as a kind of "server". ALL important documents are saved on this machine.

The other machine is a "traveler". I have MOST documents kept in Briefcases on this machine. (So when it hits the road, I have updated copies of everything.)

What I'd like to do is find a nice, easy Backup program that will:

- Backup the ENTIRE "server", and regularly schedule incremental backups.
- Backup the "traveler", but NOT the Briefcases (and, to conserve space, NOT the "Font" folder) - in other words, installed programs and user setups - and regularly schedule incremental backups.

And I'd LOVE to do this on my salary - and, seeing as how I am unemployed, that means FREE, if possible!

Thoughts/suggestions?

I searced cNet, but I trust you lot.

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Raptor

Re: Good Backup Software (Cheap?)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:15:36 PM »
Norton Save & Restore, the latest version of Ghost does exactly what you want.

I doubt you can find software that is that complicated for free. It's not all that expensive when you consider how important your information can be to you..

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »
If you can't buy Norton Ghost or a similar program now, you could at least by using Windows Backup utility to backup your data files, all the files you've created with your applications.  Aren't they the most important files to backup?  Assuming you have your Windows CD and all your program CD's or installation files, you can always reinstall your programs, but you can't replace your data files.  

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »
I had Norton Ghost 2003 or -4, and I found it cumbersome and unversatile.

I KNOW it's important... It's just, well, the difference between software and, say, car insurance.
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
ANd, yes, Soybean, that is what I do now... Well, I just drag and drop my docs to an outside disc.

But I do have a couple of software programs that have expiring registration codes, so when I wiped my drive, I had to email all the customer service folks and get new codes, and some of them I registered using my WORK email, and of course the company is out of business, so there's NO WAY to convince them I'm really the same rjbinney, blah blah blah blah.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »
Acronis True Image works very well...i believe GX1_Man found NewEgg the cheapest source for it a while ago.

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 03:52:35 PM »
I had Norton Ghost 2003 or -4, and I found it cumbersome and unversatile.

I KNOW it's important... It's just, well, the difference between software and, say, car insurance.

Save and Restore is new & Improved. It actually works quite well, a Norton sales representative gave me a free version to try out.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 04:03:09 PM »
I had been a loyal Norton guy since Day One, until last winter when someone (not to point fingers, but I think it was the yay-hoos that frequent www.computerhope.com's forums, ahem) convinced me to get all traces of all things Symantec off my machines, and, for the most part, that has been a good decision.

Not to knock the new Ghost, it's just my machines run a lot faster - particularly at startup - and I have fewer problems that leave me mystified.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »
I'm not too fond of Norton either, but the sales rep was quite convincing.  ;D

Although, if anyone knows of any freeware imaging and backup software I'd very much like to give that a shot..

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 04:36:22 PM »
The Acronis at Newegg for $34.99 is the best software I have ever used.

Good price if your $199.00 Windows XP goes stupid. :-? ;D ;D ;D
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

LegoLas

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 08:25:37 AM »
    well guys, as it was mentioned Acronis is really much better then ghost and
      lately i've found affiliates site, where True Image is for just 29.99$

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product/productdetails.aspx?submit=&item=32-200-204&ATT

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 09:39:41 AM »
    I've never heard of that place, but I do trust Newegg.com  ;)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
    Well, here's what I did...

I reloaded all the software that I DON'T have CD's for (i.e., stuff I downloaded and had to get electronic keys for, instead of having a nice sticker on the jewel case).

Then I used DriveImage XML to back that up.

I also copied all the docs off the main machine onto a separate disc.

So, hopefully, if everything craps out, I still have enough to put it somewhat back together!

====

But here's a separate but related question.

The way I understand it is, when you install software, it puts code in the registry, plus other assorted DLL and stuff in the Windows directory, so it will all integrate properly, blah blah blah. So...

If I simply copied my Windows directory, and my Program Files directory to a separate disc... Then, if my machine wiped out, I could just copy those two directories back and be back in business, right?

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »
    If I simply copied my Windows directory, and my Program Files directory to a separate disc... Then, if my machine wiped out, I could just copy those two directories back and be back in business, right?

Well that can be problematic as Windows cannot copy all of it's files while it is still running. Acronis and such can overcome this. As for just a blanket XCOPY of files, I would say no.  ;)
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:13:00 PM by GX1_Man »

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 08:00:40 PM »
    I understand. Thanks.