Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express Links won't work  (Read 3782 times)

Galena

Outlook Express Links won't work
« on: October 13, 2006, 04:34:25 PM »
I checked the faq and could not find a response to this.  The links in my emails will not work and I have to copy and paste addresses.  Any quick fix for this?
I use Windows ME

Also, on my work computer the Outlook emails (the texts) are not showing up at all and I cannot open any attachments in them either.  This might be more complicated?  Windows 2000 there.   :(
Thanks for any help.

Raptor

Re: Outlook Express Links won't work
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 04:58:29 PM »
Any quick fix for this?
I use Windows ME

A better operating system?  ;)

Have you scanned for viruses and spyware?

How has the problem happened?

Galena

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »
Ha ha.  But of course you are right.  I am just squeezing the last bit of life out of my poor old computer.
I do not know when it happened, I became aware of it a few months ago.  Perhaps when I loaded the Shaw Secure program - but I am not sure.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 05:25:58 PM »
    Check your OE>Options>Security...
    Is it set to Internet Zone & are you allowing it to open attachments?
    BTW, clicking on links in emails is dangerous.

Galena

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 11:05:36 PM »
    Yes it is set to Internet Zone, and I am pretty sure all the settings are right.  It is more of an irritant than a huge problem.  Why shouldn't you open a link from email?
    My problem at work is more serious because I cannot read any text at all in the emails, nor open attachments.    I had to reset my computer there to an earlier date because it was severely messed up.  I might have some sort of virus there, because we only have a free virus scanner.  
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 12:05:42 AM »
    Hmm... be sure that the sender of the email with the links is on your safe list... if its not, the links shouldent work (for your own good, actualy)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 09:44:30 AM »
    Why shouldn't you open a link from email?

Because the E-mail could be a sham and pre-Windows XP Internet Explorer browsers are VERY insecure.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »
    Why shouldn't you open a link from email?

Because the E-mail could be a sham and pre-Windows XP Internet Explorer browsers are VERY insecure.
    But, you've got to admin, they do stay on top of keeping everything up to date and protected... I have IE 7 now...

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
    But, you've got to admit, they do stay on top of keeping everything up to date and protected... I have IE 7 now...

It's the constant required updating of their shabby product that is of concern to some.  ;)

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
    But, you've got to admit, they do stay on top of keeping everything up to date and protected... I have IE 7 now...

It's the constant required updating of their shabby product that is of concern to some.  ;)
    Its because there are people constantly hacking Windows products and OS's.... if it wasn't so popular, IE 7/6 would be safer than ever.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

Its because there are people constantly hacking Windows products and OS's.... if it wasn't so popular, IE 7/6 would be safer than ever.

Because it is popular it should be made more safe before releasing it. Whatever way you put it, it's still Microsoft's fault.

Internet Explorer 6 for 98 / ME is not the same IE as it is on Windows 2000/XP..  Another good reason to use Firefox.  :)
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 04:33:13 PM by Raptor »