Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sony VAIO Illiciting Loud Alarm (from inside Comp)  (Read 5266 times)

goplayrabbit

Sony VAIO Illiciting Loud Alarm (from inside Comp)
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
Hello, I bought a Sony VAIO PCV-V300G about a year ago. I've contacted Sony Support a whopping seven times over the past five months. During that time, almost everyday, my computer has illicited a loud, persistent alarm -- an alarm that doesn't come through the speakers, but rather from inside the computer. Sony never seems to understand my problem and has suggested performing a system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling all recently-added hardware, etc. I've done these things, but they haven't worked.

My computer runs on XP, with 480MB RAM, a 13g hard-drive, and a 167g hard-drive. The alarm seems to happen when a lot of things are going on (for instance, listening to music and surfing the net), but then again.. sometimes it occurs when my computer is idle.

Sony is now asking that I request a repair (at a cost of $314). I could buy another computer for that much. Is there anyway to disable this f*cking alarm so I don't throw my computer out the window? Please help, if you can. I will really, really truly appreciate it.

If you need more information, just ask. Thanks. /d

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sony VAIO Illiciting Loud Alarm (from inside C
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

What does the alarm sound like?  bell / beep / screech

Checked your fans to make sure they're all up and running?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »
    The alarm is there for a reason, I think your computer is overheating. Is it a laptop or a desktop?

goplayrabbit

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »
    Sorry, I'm kinda new to this. :-?. Ok, it's a Sony Vaio desktop. The alarm sounds like a .. some kind of security system siren or a police siren. I have long thought it might be overheating because sometimes when restarting, I would be directed to BIOS where the CPU temperature was marked in red. I asked Sony about this, but they didn't really seem to want to touch on it.. instead directing me to mostly benign articles about resetting BIOS, etc. My fans seem to be working okay; i.e., I can hear them and feel the air coming out. But a lot of times, the back of the computer is very hot. (VAIOs, in case you don't know, really consist of a monitor, with the entire computer packaged behind it.)

If it is a problem with overheating, what can I do to fix it? And thanks a lot for helping out.

[also, this might help. I bought a game last night (Sim City 4 - it was cheap and I was bored). Should be a simple game to run right ? But, without fail, about five minutes into the game, the alarm comes on. And I have to shut down the computer, and not restart until I'm pretty sure the THREAT OF SIREN is gone. really frustrating.]
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:49:14 PM by goplayrabbit »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 03:46:09 PM »
    I would be directed to BIOS where the CPU temperature was marked in red.

There you go.

What temperatures are shown in the BIOS?

Are all the fans operating? Are all heatsinks firmly attached?

Have you removed all the dust from fans and heatsinks?

But a lot of times, the back of the computer is very hot.

What would that be? The Power Supply Unit?
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 03:47:15 PM by Raptor »

goplayrabbit

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 03:51:09 PM »
    Yes, it's hottest on the botton left side, where the power supply is.

The last time I was alerted to the temperature in BIOS was at least a couple of weeks ago.. I seem to remember 64 C maybe? I will try to check it again. Thanks, Raptor

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »
    Hot air coming from the PSU is quite common, but have you inspected all the heatsinks and fans yet? Are they very dusty?

goplayrabbit

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 03:57:36 PM »
    I haven't.. because I'm not really sure how to. Vaios seem intimidating to open up, but I guess I will try. I just to need make sure there's no dust.. and that all the connections are good?

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »
    Yes, you need not remove anything until we've determined the problem.

Gently shake the heatsinks to see if they are properly attached; don't use too much force, though.

goplayrabbit

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »
    Everything seemed properly attached but there was A LOT of dust. I cleaned it with an air duster and I'm about to start the game.. see what happens. That's a good test for the alarm. Thanks again, Raptor.\

Raptor - I love you!!!! Wow, I feel really stupid. it's been dust this whole time. I just sat through the game for a few minutes.. No Alarm. I'm '*censored*' amazed, and incredibly grateful. Thanks !
    « Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:48:04 PM by goplayrabbit »

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
    No problem, you'd be surprised how many problems can be prevented by cleaning the case every 2-3 months.

Come back anytime.  ;)