Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how do i setup w2k datacenter server for FTP?  (Read 2543 times)

Dead_reckon

how do i setup w2k datacenter server for FTP?
« on: October 16, 2006, 08:17:52 PM »
ok, i know little about FTP servers, but i would like to setup my rig as an FTP server... i want to set it up as an FTP server so i can download or upload files when i am away from home. incase you need my system specs, they can be found in the document below. i need to know how i can set this thing up as a simple FTP file server. so i can upload or download documents, images, music files, ect, while i am at school, work, or where ever i may need a file. since the my documents of my school laptop synchronizes to a server, files sometimes go missing, so, i will back them up on here.

i am going to upgrade to 512mbs of ram, and put a linksys 10\100 eitherfast card in here, i seem to have them laying around everywhere, and i cant get the onboard lan to work. i will pull out the d-link wireless adapter when i get a LAN line ran to my room, which will be some time after the 20th, which is when i get paid. i am also going to modify two 120mm fans to the front of the case, the case is a gateway 2000 P5-133, i removed the plate that covered the fan vents, with alittle sawing of plastic, and some drilling, it will fit nicely. i am also putting in a hard drive cooler that takes up 3 5.25 bays, and has a 120mm fan to cool the hard drives, although i will have to swap the fan, i dont want one with blue LED's in my server, which may have to run at times while i am sleeping, it will be setup at the foot of my bed, so, a bright blue light isnt a good idea. i can stand the noise though. i will take pics when its all done. which, will be some time after the 30th hopefully. i am going to get 2 IDE RAID cards, so i can run my 27 gig, 74 gig, two 8 gigs, and 40 gig at the same time. i am also buying a 320 gig drive, so i will never run out of serving space. other than that, i wont be upgrading it much more. will have to find a better used monitor than the danged packard bell i will have to use, that thing is beyond outdatted and useless, its from 1996, same year as the computer case. oh, i am also upgrading to a 420w psu from the 380, need more connectors. i will swap out the CD rom for my dvd burner, i dont need it now, seeing as my other computer is dead.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:18:58 PM by Dead_reckon »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: how do i setup w2k datacenter server for FTP?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:44:06 PM »
Acquire an FTP server, punch a hole in your firewall and watch the leeches come out to play...
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Dead_reckon

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 05:19:50 PM »
Acquire an FTP server, punch a hole in your firewall and watch the leeches come out to play...

no way to secure it? or stealth it?

EDIT: i am going to install the normal server dition, datacenter has too many unneeded features that eat up WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much of my ram (90% of 256mbs)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 05:28:24 PM by Dead_reckon »

kilowatt_15

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 06:53:22 PM »
You have a couple of options.  First choose your FTP program, if you don't want to spend anything use the FTP program that comes with Windows as part of IIS.  If you don't mind spending a little money I've used Serv-u for years and it works quite well, I think they may even have a free personal edition.

If this FTP is only for your use then I would recommend changing the port to something other than 21, it will only be impacted by you entering the FTP address and having to remember to change the port.

Disable any anonymous access to the site, regardless of the software you use.

The last thing to consider is your IP address, if it's static then you have no problem for getting to your site.  If it's dynamic as a lot of ISP's are then your address is going to change all the time.  You can subscribe to a free service that will require you to install a little app on your server running the FTP that will always report your IP address to their servers and you will access your site via a URL they provide.  Not sure if these will allow FTP usage but at the very least it will report your IP address to you.

Those are pretty much the basics.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 06:58:07 PM »
Nice Reply kilowatt, and Welcome Aboard...

patio.  8-)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dead_reckon

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 05:18:41 AM »
You have a couple of options.  First choose your FTP program, if you don't want to spend anything use the FTP program that comes with Windows as part of IIS.  If you don't mind spending a little money I've used Serv-u for years and it works quite well, I think they may even have a free personal edition.

If this FTP is only for your use then I would recommend changing the port to something other than 21, it will only be impacted by you entering the FTP address and having to remember to change the port.

Disable any anonymous access to the site, regardless of the software you use.

The last thing to consider is your IP address, if it's static then you have no problem for getting to your site.  If it's dynamic as a lot of ISP's are then your address is going to change all the time.  You can subscribe to a free service that will require you to install a little app on your server running the FTP that will always report your IP address to their servers and you will access your site via a URL they provide.  Not sure if these will allow FTP usage but at the very least it will report your IP address to you.

Those are pretty much the basics.

thanks, i can go into my modem and set this computer to static, the rest to dynamic (i think). i will look into the program this weekend.

if i do invest in a server program it will not be until i have this sever upgraded, i am going to put a full ATX motherboard in here, to replace the micro, and put in 512mb pc133 stick with my two 128's, will be 768mbs of ram then, more than enough for this thing to serve data. i will also have two of these ata133 raid cards:

[link]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16816102007[/link]

i am also upgrading the power supply so i will have enough connectors. i do not feel like running a ton of connectors and spitters on the 300w psu is running, knowing my luck it would blow up and take everything with it. i will probably upgrade to a 420w or better, running 6 drives, CD burner, AGP card, RAID cards, and a NIC card will take quite a bit of power, not to mention fans, i plan to modify two 120mms to fit in the front.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 05:27:07 AM by Dead_reckon »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »
Oh.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos