Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick question  (Read 3256 times)

nuk1m

Quick question
« on: October 16, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »
My friend has a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo. There is a 12 volt 4 pin power connector on the motherboard as well as the 24 pin one. The 20 pin power supply connecter goes into the 24 pin slot, while the 4 pin plugs in next to it to fill the last 4 pins.

Now there is that 12v 4 pin slot I was talking about. Is it required that one plugs into that? Because the power supply ony has the one..

p.s the power supply is a Roswell SLI ready.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 10:23:00 PM by nuk1m »

homer

Expert
    Re: Quick question
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 10:58:56 PM »
    i believe that you are describing the EZ plug on the motherboard. does it look like the same plugin that plugs into your harddrive, floppy, cd-drive,etc.? because if it does, you are not required to plug any power into it, unless you plan on running 2 or more video cards.

sneakers

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 11:05:16 PM »
      Hi Nuk1m

This is out of the M2N SLI Deluxe manual

These connectors are for ATX power supply plugs. The power supply plugs are designed to fit these connectorss in only one orientation. Finf the proper orientation and push down firmly until the connectors completly fit.

For a fully configured system, we rocommend that youuse a power supply unit that complies with ATX 12 volt specs 2.0 or higher or laterand provides a minimum power of 600 watts.

Do not forget the 4 pin ATX 12v power plug otherwise the system will not boot.

;D

According to that, you probably do not have a proper power supply. Mine is 650 watts and it has the 4 pin ATX  12v connector.
      Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

nuk1m

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »
      my power supply has the  4 pin connector, but only one and there are two on the motherboard. its 550 watts, i'm reading the manual and i dont see anything about 600 watts but I do see that it has to be 12v 2.0 compliant, which it is. ATX2.01 is in the name.

ff7vii

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:02:03 AM »
      i had the same problem, i know what you mean by the optional 4 pin connector sliding next to the 20 pin. This is so it can accomidate both 20 pin, and 24 pin motherboards.

But when i did not plug the aditional 4 pin 12v. into it designated spot (alway from the main ATX power inlet), my sytem did not function. If it were me, i might think about taking it back or bying a new one. It sounds to me that your motherboard is a 24 pin ATX, and your PSU (power supply) is a 20 pin power supply that might be able to be used on a 24 pin.

Power supplies are tricky. They are not as easy to pick out as most people think. You have to take into acount all of the conectors that you need. For example, only lately have power supplies came with SATA power supplies, but SATA hard disks have been around long before that, so it was really difficult to buy the correct PSU for your computer. You also mentioned that it was SLI ready. Again, this is something that needs to be taken into account. If your computer is going to have two video cards (SLI), then you are goint to need to also get a PSU that will support that. Your PSU needs to have more wattage output than your computer needs. Most of this you may already know, but its always good to hear just in case one fogets anything. :)

Again, i believe that you will need both the 24 pin connector (20 pin and the small 4 pin) AND an additional 4 pin connector. In my computer, i have a power supply that is 24 pin, and ALSO has a small 4 pin connector, but i have a 20 pin mobo, so it comes with an adapter that converts the 24 pin down to a 20 pin connector. You sould try looking for something like that.

Good luck.

nuk1m

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 01:47:41 AM »
      thanks for the advice, it made a lot of sense.

Ok here's why i'm worried. After hooking it all up the first time, (with no additional 4 pin) when I hit the power it would turn on for about 2 seconds, all the fans would turn on etc. Now after messing with it more, trying a different power supply, stuff like that, nothing turns on. Even on it's original configuration.  I swear that I smell something funny when I hit the power but I might be crazy.

Did I short the motherboard? It's under warranty at least :p

ff7vii

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 02:07:15 AM »
      LOL!!  That would totaly suck if i were to smell something come from my computer, i think i would have a heart attack, or maby kick it..lol

Ok, i would say as long as you plugged everything in correctly and did not foce anything, then you should be fine.

But i'm not sure how much you know about ems, but you could easily have done in your mobo (motherboard) if you touched it wrong. lol, yes touched. Make sure you are taking the proper precations when handling the computer stuff, specialy when dealing with the power supply.

That said, i was having the same difficulties and my hero Raptor (hehe) said to reset the CMOS settings. This might help, not sure, but its worth a try. There is a battery on your board. Make sure the power is UNPLUGED and take out the small disk shaped battery for about ten seconds or more, then put it back it. Plug all the stuff back in and see if it helped. If not see if there is a jumper that resets your CMOS, my jumper was right next to the battery and was labled. But make sure that it's the correct one. Look up your manual and which one it is. Mine was easy and was on my PC manufactures web site. www.HP.com  or somthing of the sort, just searched for my motherboard and it should step by step instructions on how to do so.

If not, try unpluging everything except the CPU, the CPU fan, the RAM, and the PSU (power supply). If is still doesn't boot up, well *censored*, i don't know, say so ans maybe one of the really smart people will help you... hehehe

Good luck! :)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 05:04:08 AM »
      My friend has a Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo. There is a 12 volt 4 pin power connector on the motherboard as well as the 24 pin one. The 20 pin power supply connecter goes into the 24 pin slot, while the 4 pin plugs in next to it to fill the last 4 pins.

Now there is that 12v 4 pin slot I was talking about. Is it required that one plugs into that? Because the power supply ony has the one..

p.s the power supply is a Roswell SLI ready.

You need to connect both the 4 pin and 24 pin connector. It will say so in the motherboard manual as well.

The extra 4 pin power connector does not under any circumstance replace the +12V 4 pin connector.

sneakers

Beginner
        « Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 08:40:36 AM »
        Me again,

The manuall says recommend 600 watts or more.

Page 2-30, first item on page.

Also, on my M2N-SLI Deluxe, the ATX plug isn't near the 24 pin. It is on the top left hand corner of the M/B.(looking at the M/B in the case)

1- 4 pin in the M/B
        The other 4 pin connector plugged into my video card.

My power supply does not have a 20 pin connector.

Hope this helps!! :D
        Case: Logisys Clear Acrylic - CPU: AMD Athlon FX-62 With HyperTransport Technology - RAM: 2GB  - Power Supply: 650 Watt SLI ready - Motherboard: Asus SLI Deluxe  - Graphics Cards: Geforce 7900 GT  - HDD: 2 - 36 GB Raptors     160

sneakers

Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:49:06 AM »

nuk1m

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »
          thanks guys good stuff!!

need a new power supply. Man I can't belive this thing needs 600 watts! thats so much power, shits gettin powerful..

However i'm still concerned that I might of shorted the board, I can't get anything out of it, here's what I posted above:

' Ok here's why i'm worried. After hooking it all up the first time, (with no additional 4 pin) when I hit the power it would turn on for about 2 seconds, all the fans would turn on etc. Now after messing with it more, trying a different power supply, stuff like that, nothing turns on. Even on it's original configuration.  I swear that I smell something funny when I hit the power but I might be crazy.  '

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 12:40:40 PM »
          If you do not connect the +12V line you can't turn on the PC, but if you do not connect the (20 +) 4 pin connector you could fry your mainboard.