Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard disk Drive problem  (Read 2112 times)

WR

External Hard disk Drive problem
« on: October 17, 2006, 09:50:11 AM »
Hi, everyone. I am a new member in this forum. Hope that you can help me with my problem.

My problem is with my external hard disk drive. Once I plug it into the USB port, I can't accces the content of the harddisk drive by double-clicking it on 'my computer'. Instead a window will pop up asking me to choose a program to view the contents ('open-with' menu). I can view the contents by right-clicking it and then select 'open'. I also noticed that on the right click menu, there is 'auto' and 'auto play' function. I have been using the external HDD for more than one year and this is the first problem that I encountered.

I have tried formatting the hard disk and use it on other computer and laptop but the problem still persist. Please Help!

panboy

Adviser

• Its all just a twisted game of cat and mouse
    Re: External Hard disk Drive problem
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 10:00:23 AM »
    After you open the Hard drive From the auto play menu, can you access it as normal?

After this you Still cannot find it in my computer?

Ok , after you plug in the hard drive and the auto Run come up ignore it, or close it.

Then open Control Panel, go to administrative Tools, open computer management

Find the Disk Manager on the list at the Left.

There should now be a List of hard Drives , and CD-Rom's  on the Right

Find your USB drive in the List, right click on it, and click Change Drive letter and paths.

Then Give it a Drive Letter , and click OK.

you should now be able to see it in my Computer
    Wields The Mighty Hammer of Computer Justice

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: External Hard disk Drive problem
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 10:43:49 AM »
    Do you happen to have ACDSee on this machine ? ?

Or have you installed any new 3rd party media players ? ?

patio.  8-)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "