Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: volume icon is missing  (Read 2723 times)

justonemore

volume icon is missing
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »
System Specs Are: windows xp home, 512mb ram, 2.8GHz intel celeron cpu

The sound on my computer has completely gone. the volume icon is missing. I have an onboard Realtek AC97 sound device. All of a sudden, the other day i swithed on the pc and no sound. device manager reports no audio problems, however system information says that IRQ 16 is being used by a graphics controller and usb universal host controller. in control panel under sounds and audio devices i get a "no audio device" message. the last two programs i installed are windows media player 11 and IE 7.0 about two weeks ago, and the problem starter yesterday. i have tried system restore to no avail. BIOS sound is enabled. speakers work just fine on another pc. i can't Extract a copy of Sndvol32.exe from windows xp cd because all i have are the three restore cd's when i bought the pc, and when i try to reinstall audio drivers via the restore cd or from C:\Drivers\Audio\OriginalDriver the system stops installing at 80% and i get the following:"Realteck ac'97 audio (4.86) tool for driver update has
encountered a problem and needs to close." i tried unistalling realtek ac'97 in add/remove programs but i get the following pop up:realtek ac'97 audio
>setupDLL\setupDLL.cpp (391)
pAPP:Realtek ac'97 audio
PVENDOR:Realtek semiconductor corp.
PGUID:fb08f381-6533-4108-b7dd-039e11fbc27e
$11.50.0.42618
@windows XP service pack 2 (2600) IE 7.0.5700.6
Setup has experienced an error.
Please do the following:
- Close any running programs
- Empty your temporary folder
- Check your internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
error code 5001

when i run directX diagnostic tool i get the following:
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.) and Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x8878000a (The request failed because DirectSound resources, such as the priority level, were already in use by another caller.) device manager shows the following under sound, video and game controllers:audio codecs, legacy audio drivers, legacy video capture drivers, media control devices,
and video codecs. each device is enabled and supposedly "working properly".
when i installed a pci sound card the volume icon does come back and i can hear music, but i'd like to figure out the audio problem.
i know i can do a windows xp re-install but that is going to be my last option.

what do you guys think?

GX1_Man

Re: volume icon is missing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »
I think you installed two beta products and now you have problems.

Maksim

Hopeful
    « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 02:34:33 AM »
    GO to Start > Search and search for: sndvol32.exe if you dont have that then you need to download it. Here are some instructions:
    To display the volume icon in the taskbar notification area, you must select the "Place volume icon in the taskbar" check box in Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices applet. If, when you try to select this check box, you receive the error

Error
    Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

you need to copy the sndvol32.exe image from your commercial XP installation media (not a vendor-supplied "recovery" CD-ROM) to the system32 folder by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session.
       2. Navigate to the CD-ROM drive by typing

<cd drive>:

3. Navigate to the i386 folder by typing

cd i386

4. Expand the sndvol32.ex_ file by typing

expand -r sndvol32.ex_ %systemroot%\system32

I hope that works.. it did for me...

justonemore

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 05:52:37 PM »
    sndvol32.exe is in the windows/system32 folder but when i double click on it i get a message that says something like ' can't find audio device, go to add/remove programs and install it'

Control Panel Sounds and Audio Devices displays "no audio device" found

i don't have a commercial version of win xp, i only have the 3 restore cd's they gave me when i bought the pc.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »
    What is the computer or motherboard make and model? What happened prior to this?

Without a sound card being identified properly, and the incorrect drivers being used, nothing else will ever work right.

When was the last time you reinstalled Windows?