Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My new cd rom does not work properly  (Read 12480 times)

cluelessblond

My new cd rom does not work properly
« on: October 23, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »
I have an old Dell PC with Windows2000. A few years ago I noticed that the it would not play cd's without skipping. I have had to use another computer for my ipod. A few months ago, the cd rom would no longer open so I just replaced it with a Pioneer DVR/DVD and it still skips while playing a cd! It also would not import to itunes. I was told my drivers could be bad but I am really lost while trying to find ones to update/ install. Please help!!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:53:53 AM by cluelessblond »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: My new cd rom does not work properly
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
     cluelessblond ..... Have you tried deleting your Pioneer optical drive and then rebooting the machine and have the drive be redetected .......?

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

cluelessblond

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:03:23 PM »
    Nope cause I dont know what that is.  :-[

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 12:12:42 PM »
      cluelessblond.......  You don't know what .......... ?  your optical drive is your Pioneer dvd drive .... ( the new one that you replaced the old one with ?

cluelessblond

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
      Ok, where do I find the optical drive in order to delete it?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 12:41:11 PM »
        Ok........ if you click start/control panel/system/ then click the hardware tab....... then click device manager ........ now scroll down the list until you see a entry called dvd/cd rom....... click on the + sign in the box in front of dvd/cd rom and you should see your pioneer dvd drive ........ highlite that entry ....right click on it and chose delete......... Now reboot your machine ....... you should see a popup box in the lower right corner appear ( down by the clock) and in the box it will say "new hardware detected " then it will either ask you to install driver cd or ...you will see the message that the new hardware has been installed and is now ready to use ......... try it and see if your cds will play ok now .

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 12:41:29 PM by dl65 »

cluelessblond

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 12:45:25 PM »
        Ok, I will try it when I get home!

Thank you very very very much for your help!!

cluelessblond

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 06:21:37 AM »
        I got home yesterday and tried several things. None of them solved the problem. I uninstalled the pioneer dvd/cd rom and rebooted several times. However, it never aknowledged new hardware or asked me about installing the drivers. (It was, however, present in the device manager so I am guessing it detected and installed without telling me). I also tried to "manage" the drivers and re-install them but the cd still skips. Any ideas?
        « Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 06:25:53 AM by cluelessblond »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 08:35:17 AM »
        Does it skip with all kinds of CDs?

Try replacing it with a known good working CD-ROM drive. I think yours is giving up the ghost.

cluelessblond

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 08:55:41 AM »
        Yes, different types of CDs (new, store bought, copies) all skip. So you think it is possible that the  brand new pioneer cd rom is deffective in the same way the old one was? Strange coincidence....

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
        Yes, different types of CDs (new, store bought, copies) all skip. So you think it is possible that the  brand new pioneer cd rom is deffective in the same way the old one was? Strange coincidence....

That would beindeed a strange coincidence. Have you got another PC on which you can test both drives?

How is your Windows installation, is it spyware/virus free and do you regularly clean it up?

cluelessblond

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 09:51:16 AM »
        I currently have antivirus but not spyware protection. I have not cleaned lately.... but have in the past every few months. I dont know that I have another computer that I can test the drives on....

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »
        I currently have antivirus but not spyware protection. I have not cleaned lately.... but have in the past every few months. I dont know that I have another computer that I can test the drives on....

Try cleaning it using the following programs:

Adaware SE
        Spybot S&D
        Windows Defender (Genuine  Windows XP only)
        CrapCleaner

When you say 'skip' do you mean a mechanical skip or does it look as if the PC freezes for a few seconds?

cluelessblond

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »

The cds do not pause they skip ahead. Sometimes it will get stuck for a few seconds in the same spot,  but usually they  just skip.

My OS is wondows 2000. I will try the suggestions when I get home tonight.

Thanks!

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 10:22:52 AM »
        The cds do not pause they skip ahead. Sometimes it will get stuck for a few seconds in the same spot,  but usually they  just skip

This happens with both data and music CDs?

How have you installed the CD drives? What jumper settings?