Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton AntiVirus Live Update won't complete  (Read 17303 times)

laura127

Norton AntiVirus Live Update won't complete
« on: September 22, 2004, 04:36:37 AM »
Hi guys/girls,

I'm having a problem with my LiveUdate today.

I click on LiveUpdate, click Next, it connects fine to the LiveUpdate & shows me that there's 1 update. I click on Next, to download & install it but the update does not complete.

The details of it show as:

Windows XP 5.1.2600
Common Client Core 2.1.0

Could not find installation path for at least one component.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem?

Joleen

Re: Norton AntiVirus Live Update won't complete
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 10:05:30 AM »
Laura!  How's life on the green isle?

Have you installed SP2 for XP?

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 10:26:46 AM »
Nice to see you again, Laura.

What kind of component is it trying to install?

laura127

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 05:57:33 AM »
Hiya Joleen & Raptor  ;D
Life on the Green Isle is great at the mo except the weather is depressing & has been all year. Didn't even have a summer this year. Just rain, rain & more dam rain.. Anyhow, back to my problem!

Joleen: No, i have not installed SP2 (meant to last week but forgot) where do i get that?
Raptor: Firstly, sorry for not mailing u back earlier. Haven't been checkin my personal mails much recently coz i'm busy in work! Its a Common Client Update that won't install. How do i find out what component it is??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 05:59:17 AM by laura127 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 08:17:34 AM »
And here I was, being worried over nothing. ;D

You can obtain SP2 by using either the Automatic Updater or by going to Start -> Windows Update (Windows XP only)

Or go to the Windows website. Can't go wrong there, just follow the big Install SP2 signs.

I believe this article may be of use to you.

(LiveUpdate error when installing the Symantec Common Client program update for Norton AntiVirus 2003)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:18:30 AM by Raptor »

laura127

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 02:58:05 AM »
And here I was, being worried over nothing. ;D

You can obtain SP2 by using either the Automatic Updater or by going to Start -> Windows Update (Windows XP only)

Or go to the Windows website. Can't go wrong there, just follow the big Install SP2 signs.

I believe this article may be of use to you.

(LiveUpdate error when installing the Symantec Common Client program update for Norton AntiVirus 2003)

Ok, i've discovered i don't have a licensed copy of XP on my pc *don't shoot me*!! I was wondering why the update wouldn't download & figured its coz i dont have a licensed version.

The link you gave me to the symantec site was brill raptor, its exactly my problem but i can't fix it using those instructions coz one thing they mention that's supposed to be there, isn't. Gonna re-install Norton Anti Virus & see if that works.

I'll be back  ;D

laura127

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 05:01:31 AM »
WooHoo!! I got it sorted.. Symantec's Automated Support Assistant found my problem & fixed it for me! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Raptor  ;D

Joleen

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 05:29:29 AM »
You can visit Microsoft.com and request a CD of the SP2.  They shipped to me free, I don't know about overseas.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 07:38:12 AM »
No problem, Laura. Come back anytime.

As for Microsft, last time I checked they only shipped to Canada and America.

laura127

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 07:38:18 AM »
You can visit Microsoft.com and request a CD of the SP2.  They shipped to me free, I don't know about overseas.

Oh cool, thanks Joleen. I'll try that :)

laura127

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »
Ok, SP2 is on its way to me in the post but that i'm getting that supid live update problem again. I've followed all the instructions on the symantec site (even uninstalled & re-installed the software) but to no avail.

Even the Automated Support Assistant can't help me this time. All its telling me to do is upgrade my software but it was only bought in June & doesn't expire til next June so i aint upgrading.

Any suggestions on whats happening to my little PC!!

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 10:31:18 AM »
You should be able to upgrade your software without buying a new license? Perhaps you can manually download these files you need.

I suggest you contact Symantec technical support to see if they know of this problem.

You may want to look into a different virus scanner should the problem persist:

AVG Anti-virus FREE version AVG Free Edition seems to be recommended quite often.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 11:45:09 AM »
    laura127.......I don't believe you have told us which version of Norton anti - Virus you have is it NAV 2004 ?
    please let us know.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

laura127

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 09:14:31 AM »
    You should be able to upgrade your software without buying a new license? Perhaps you can manually download these files you need.

So i can upgrade for FREE Raptor??

laura127

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 09:15:16 AM »
    laura127.......I don't believe you have told us which version of Norton anti - Virus you have is it NAV 2004 ?
    please let us know.

dl65  ::)

Hi dl65, the version i have is Norton AntiVirus 2004 for Windows 2000/ME/98/XP