Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RAM Upgrade Problems  (Read 1947 times)

Mr_Steve

RAM Upgrade Problems
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:01:18 AM »
Hello!

Just a question for you all here.

I have been trying to upgrade my computer, but I've not been having much luck at the moment.

I found the correct RAM i need. 168 slot and it fits in fine, but when I load it up my screen has the words it would normally have but they are all broken up and unreadable. It is very frustrating!

Any suggestions would be a great help

My computer specs are

Qtech
Intel Celeron CPU
1200 MHZ
1.20GHz and currently has 248MB of RAM split between two sticks.

Thanks in advance

Steve

GX1_Man

Re: RAM Upgrade Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
[highlight]I found the correct RAM i need. 168 slot and it fits in fine[/highlight], but when I load it up my screen has the words it would normally have but they are all broken up and unreadable. It is very frustrating!

Any suggestions would be a great help

How do you know it is the correct RAM? Just because it fits is not relevant. Just because it is PC100 or PC133 does not mean it is correct.

Without the motherboard model we will have difficulty finding what the manufacturer recommended. Do you have a manual?
http://www.qtechsrl.it/prodotti/products.php?cat=1&PHPSESSID=3e31248d20126e77abbc6b77ab1ab375

Mr_Steve

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »
I couldn't see my computer on the list  :-?
But I do now believe that my system model is VT8601

Is this of any help?

I am so very new at this and it is all so frustrating

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 12:13:25 PM »
Where did you get the RAM. WHat kind is it specifically. Make and model number? Do you know if it is high or low density? Was it new?

Mr_Steve

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 11:46:14 PM »
OK after lots of hard work I seem to have found out my motherboard information

Epox is the make and EP-3WTM is the model number

Does anyone know where I can find the right RAM, Sounds and Video upgrades for it?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:43:51 AM »
Here are all your drivers. Just input the model number. THe 4 in 1 driver must be installed first!

http://www.epox.com/usa/downloads.asp?class=DRIVERS

Here is your RAM needed:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=EP%2D3WTM

Crucial is not the lowest priced, but they have guaranteed compatibility and a lifetime warranty. If you are buying elsewhere you must match ALL of the RAM characterisitcs and make sure they have an exchange policy if it doesn't work. The older low density RAM is probably what is needed.

You only have two slots so one of the existing chips will have to go.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 02:46:23 AM by GX1_Man »